A6 2.4 Induction kits

tyt590

Ride It Like You Love It
Reaction score
Can any one please tell me where I can buy an induction kit for my A6. It's an Audi 2.4 1999 V6. I've looked and looked but can't find anything. Thanks.

Hey,

I'm looking to get one for my 1998 2.8 V6 and unfortunately it's going to have to be a custom build with a universal induction kit.

First off you'll need to select a capable induction cone (some of the K&N kits look good - maybe the apollo or typhoon - http://www.knfilters.com).

The only real problem is going to be how to mount it to the system. The 2.8V6 MAF unit has an intake diameter of slightly over 75mm, so I intend to make up a small bracket that can still bolt to the MAF but will also increase the intake to about 80mm so that any universal induction kit should be able to mount onto it quite securely.

That's really as difficult as it gets. Only other option is if you choose to run a cold air pipe, but that's simple enough.

If you want any brackets made up at all then let me know, I'm a dab-hand with a bit of metalwork.

Hi Chris, Thanks for the advise. Looks like I will have to buy a universal intake and manufacture a flange to connect it to the Air Flow Meter. Thanks again.:thumbsup:

Hi

hope you realise that the oem airbox is very efficient and you wont get any gains from using a K&N filter or other type.

You may get a bit more noise, but watch out if you oil the filter as it may screw up the MAF.

Simon

Tis true, the current airbox is very effective for what it has to do and an induction kit isn't necessary, but there are advantages:

1. It sounds much better
2. It allows more room behind the headlight unit, the airbox is crammed in
3. It looks gorgeous.

Problems can always be expected, but it is possible to overcome anything. Mine is now on order, will let you know how it goes.

Chris

I'm getting the car chipped on Tuesday (03/07/07) and been advised through Demon Tweeks to keep the original and fit a K&N panel filter as it's probably the best option. So thats what I'm gonna do and I'l be back and let you know the results. Once this is sorted I'm gonna fit new disc's, pads and then.......................
.......... Nitrous!
Should of mentioned that I've just spent £700 on a competition SS exhaust and it sounds ****** perfect. It's been lowered by 40mm and de-badged, other than that it looks normal. It really is becoming a wolf in sheeps clothing. I wanna keep the original wheels but pretty soon will buy a set of 18" or 19" er's.
Oh, and I'm 45 so watch out all you "Boy Racers" cos I'm coming to get you!

Well I can't see an induction kit actually reducing performance. I'll just be glad of removing the lump of plastic from the engine bay. The flange is almost fully fabricated and the induction kit arrived today. Just need some good weather to get out there and fit it in.

Let me know how the nitrous goes, i'm tempted for that myself but I don't fancy putting too much pressure into the ageing engine. I got a set of 18" audi alloys from RSR tyres for about £450 i think. Always haggle, they will usually match eBay prices.

hi i have just fitted an induction kit to a 2.8 1998 a6 and yes it does make a diffrence to the performance .i used a bmc carbon air fillter from demon tweeks and a ally top hat to mate up with the maff sensor to join the air box to the top hat i got a sillcon hose made up by graham goodes i have photos how to do it if you need any its really easy when you get the parts .it took me about 4 hours to make it all fit and what a noise it makes after 3000 revs well worth the trouble

Superb!!!

Mine is still in the process of bracket fabrication, gotta make it look special, he he. Hopefully be done by the weekend though.

dan boy said:
hi i have just fitted an induction kit to a 2.8 1998 a6 and yes it does make a diffrence to the performance .

Really?

Must be an extra sensitive guy.

You can notice a possible 1-2% possible gain or loss in your car's performance?

You need to get yourself on Britain's Got Talent dude :)

Dan Gliballs said:
Really?

Must be an extra sensitive guy.

You can notice a possible 1-2% possible gain or loss in your car's performance?

You need to get yourself on Britain's Got Talent dude :)
tried britains got talent no good at it guess i am to sensitive. :) and yes i can notice the diffrence the car is more responsive when accelerating past 3000 rpm and as i said before makes a great sound :kissmyrings:

Yeah, I would say that my induction kit has very little effect on the overall BHP, but it does have a noticeable effect on throttle response. But this is probably only caused by the new direct air route through the cone filter, the old air box had way too many corners to restrict the airflow.

And every little BHP helps

I just thought I'd post a reply for all those wanting to install an induction kit.

The airbox can be removed with only a couple of clips and bolts nice and easy. Then an adapter bracket needs to be fabricated like the one below:

Bracket.jpg

The main tube needs to be 70mm diameter so that you can get a 70mm internal diameter straight coupler silicone hose to connect to the induction kit (in this case the K&N Apollo):

Induction.jpg

The bracket can then be bolted straight onto the MAF and sorted. One small extra strap needs to be made to hold it up in the engine bay but that can be mounted to the old airbox mounting points.

definently don't need an induction kit. for what its worth i had a ride a couple weeks ago in a 700+bhp RS4 with an OEM airbox.

induction kit will lose you torque, the airbox is volume adjusted and port sized to keep it optimum.

however i like k&n panel filters they overall don't flow more than a standard filter but they do respond to changes in air flow better for performance. standard filters are excellent for economy