A6 2.0tdi timing belt question

Ali2.0tfsi

Reaction score
Hi guys this is probably covered many times. I've recently bought a 2.0tdi facelift with 78,000 miles with full Audi main dealer history. There is no record of the timing belt been changed. My service book says toothbelt to be changed at 114,000 miles.

I called Audi who say it's every 5 years or 114,000.

So today I took cover off cambelt and belt looks fairly new as if it's been changed maybe 6-12minth ago.

What are the difference between new and old belts look wise?

Audi want £600 parts and labour to change belt.

Thanks in advance

Can the previous owner answer this for you ?
His/her details should be on the reg document.

Looking at the logbook v5 previous owner only had the car for 5 month before he/she sold it on. So doubt very much they had the cambelt changed but I will write to them and see if they reply back.

Might sound daft but i have never seen a belt look old if you know what i mean.
When i got my a6 i couldn't find any record of it having a new belt so i got it all done.
Later i did find that it had been done but 78k had passed but that belt that came off looked just like yours.
Find a good indy as i did and i paid £465 all in for genuine parts inc water pump and a thermostat and my cat is a v6 tdi (2 belts).

Found a indi who wants £450 to replace timing belt and water pump so just going to get it done for piece of mind.

I'm handy with tools but not that handy to tackle something like this.

If you have never done a belt before then best get it down by a professional, as if you get it wrong on a TDI then goodbye engine block. I think you have done the correct decision in replacing the belt, visual inspection of the belt is not a good indication of it's age. Also while you are there get the thermostat replaced, it a cheap part & another common failure. Saves a bit of money buying replacement G13 coolant, when you have to drain the coolant again.

Also make sure the garage uses G13 to refill the coolant system, as VW coolant should not be mixed with other makes.

Reactions: RoyC
Where is the thermostat located on there engines any pic?

Where is the thermostat located on there engines any pic?

spacer.gif

pipe union
2.0 ltr. 4-cylinder+diesel eng.+CAGB,CAHA CAHB
1 03L121011G coolant pump with sealing ring
(1) 03L121011GX coolant pump with sealing ring
2 038121119 o-ring 57X4MM
3 N 90945002 hexagon socket head bolt with shoulderto be used for item:M7X21,5 1
(3) N 91190801 hexagon socket head bolt with shoulderto be used for item:***V09S19*** M7X22 8
6 03L121113A coolant regulatorD >> - 17.08.2009* 82C-102C
7 038121119B o-ringD >> - 17.08.2009* 50X4
8 03G121121C pipe unionD >> - 17.08.2009*
(8) coolant regulatorsee illustration:D - 17.08.2009>>* 121-75

Reactions: Ali2.0tfsi
Shall I get the coolant temperature sensor replaced also? As I know on the old model this was a common fault or shall I just wait till it needs changing?

Shall I get the coolant temperature sensor replaced also? As I know on the old model this was a common fault or shall I just wait till it needs changing?
It would be advisable while you have the part off.

I can understand the thermostat but you don't need to change every sensor, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

It's a bit like doing a clutch and flywheel, while you have the gearbox off lets do a full gearbox rebuild lol

I can understand the thermostat but you don't need to change every sensor, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

It's a bit like doing a clutch and flywheel, while you have the gearbox off lets do a full gearbox rebuild lol
Lol that's a yes I take it then.

Timing belt, waterpump and thermostat fitted today. On close inspection the old timing belt was pretty bad glad I replaced. Now I can sleep at night with a lighter wallet :)

Reactions: RoyC