1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A6 2.0 TFSI BPJ Oil Pump

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by andrew3737, Jan 4, 2012.

1. andrew3737

andrew3737 New Member

Hi everyone,

Looking for advice on how to proceed with a repair.

Oil pressure warning light came on not far from home. Stopped the car and switched off. Mechanic came to look at car and engine ran albeit rattling top end.
    Turns out the oil pump has disintegrated.
    My question, should I get the oil pump replaced and hope everything else is ok (stray bits of oil pump, further damage), which is seemingly impossible to predict
    OR
    do I get the engine refurbished to ensure everything will be ok.
    On a budget but obviously looking to keep the car for a while yet.

Engine has 120k on it.

Many thanks
  2. crispin

crispin Member

buy oil pump and drain oil and cross fingers.....
  3. elan2s

elan2s Member

Might want to do two oil changes in quick succession (change the oil + filter, run the engine at idle for 20 mins or so and then change again) to ensure you get as much of the disintegrated pump out as possible. Given the high mileage of the engine probably best to avoid using a flushing oil. Could use a cheaper high street brand for the first change then revert to a quality oil, but best to stick with same type (i.e. if you have been using fully synthetic, then use same for both changes). Then of course cross your fingers, but if the engine remains (or becomes) noisy after this there is only one further course of action.