1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A6 1998 SAT NAV RETRO FIT

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by quattro25years, Mar 26, 2007.

1. quattro25years

quattro25years Member

HI ! Can anyone help ??

I have a 1998 2.8 quattro A6 avant , I would like to retro fit an AUDI SATNAV in the centre console ...

at present i have the AUDI concert stereo above the dual climate control and a 6 disc auto changer (in the boot) ,

is this an easy task , ............or is it not worth the hassle ???
  2. matt_o121

matt_o121 2.8Q

i have recently fitted an rns-d unit in to my 97 2.8Q, it is quite a big job and also not cheap.

you will need to get:

a double din radio cage,
    a double din climate control,
    double din ash tray,

and the unit- the parts other than the radio are quite expensive and it would be worth splashing the cash to get all of the parts together,

try ebay.de and search for 'a6 doppel din' you will find sellers listing all the parts together.
  3. quattro25years

quattro25years Member

hi , thanks for the reply , off to check ebay.de,

thanks for the advice , any idea about totaL COST ?

CHEERS
  4. matt_o121

matt_o121 2.8Q

i would say you would be looking to spend £400-500 including the nav plus unit.

there are bargains out there, i got my nav plus brand new for £200. from an audi dealer on ebay.

its worth getting all the costs before you start,

try to find the double din radio cage used, they are on vag parts, but are nearly £200.

it is nice though.
  5. simonwjones

simonwjones Member

You may also find you need a Canbus emulator as well. If so this will set you back about 100-120 euros.

Simon
  6. marsmail

marsmail Member

personally I would not bother with Audi Sat nav. I had it factory fitted in my A6 and frankly Tom Tom is better! The only benefit is that you do not have to take it out of the car to avoid it being stolen. Functionwise it is poor, doesn't take full post codes and the latest update disk (2006) still thinks the A1 goes past ferrybridge power station to the east, even though the new road has been there for years.
    really not worth the money even if you can do it!