1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A6 1.9TDI Tiptronic buying advice please......

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by Nessy, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

My stepfather wants to replace his Tiptronic petrol A6 Allroad with a FWD Tiptronic 1.9 diesel A6 Avant (he's had a V6 TDI A6 before and that was the WORST car he has ever owned so it has to be a 4 cyl 1.9!) and I'm trying to find out what auto box a 2002-2003-2004 A6 1.9 TDI would have?
    Having read too many horror stories about the Multi-tronic/CVT gearbox there is no way he is going to have one of these, and going by my internet searches it seems to imply that in the age range of vehicles he is looking at then all automatic FWD A6's are Multi-tronic and that quattro A6s are Tiptronic.
    Is this correct?
    If not, apart from their different driving characteristics can you physically tell the difference beween a Multi-tronic and Tiptronic vehicle by looking at the gearstick selector/ interior of car etc??
    Thanks for any pointers!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. will89

will89 Member

FWD = Multitronic/CVT and QUATTRO = Tiptronic

I may be wrong though!

4. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

Thanks, I had a brain-wave and looked on my ancient copy of ETKA to see what 'boxes were listed 2001-2003 and it came up with FWD petrol and 4 cyl diesel=Multitronic and 2.5TDI + QUATTRO =Tiptronic.
    Needless to say the stepfather is now resigned to getting a manual 1.9 TDI as he doesn't want anything to do with the multitronic or the V6 TDI..........

Cheers