a5 hold assist.

johnmandy

Reaction score
I don't usually post on this forum.... i own a b7 a4 3.0 litre tdi, anyway i was hoping for a little help off you good folk.

Now the problem, my elderly mother and her partner of 30 years have suddenly had a rush to their heads and purchased a A5 4 door 2.0 litre tdi,... i think its a 180 bhp.
Theres some confusion on how the handbrake and audi hold assist works.... plus the fact the car rolls back occasionaly when hill starting.
I,m sure the audi assist must be activated every time its re-started, can this be defaulted as always on, this will help.
I'm of the opinnion the handbrake switch doesn't really need to be used on journeys, other than when finished.... parked at home/workplace etc.... are my right in stating this.
The confusion really stems from the fact that they worry they have to carry out, both using the assist and handbrake togeather.
Can anyone shine a light on this problem and explain it in laymans terms, so my elderly parents could understand.

Many thanks. john

I don't own an A5, but have been doing some reading on this subject recently. The handbrake switch doesn't need to be used at all, like you say. It's put on when you get home and that's it. When you get in and drive off in the morning, just go - it disengages automatically. The hold assist can be turned on and remains on until you physically press the button to turn it off and it stops you from rolling down/uphill. When you want to go, just pull away as normal and it disengages automatically. If you sit in traffic for ages, the hold assist automatically switches to the parking brake. the result is the same... just pull away.

In reality, they can get in the car and turn on the hold assist (not sure if it stays on even if you park & come back in the morning... doubt it) and drive away. From then on, whenever they stop, they can safely take their foot off the brake and the brakes will stay on (hold assist keeps them on). When they're ready to go, pull away and it disengages itself.

Hope this helps/makes sense!