A5 3.0 TDI Quatts in for back box delete,stage 1 remap

Deano5665

Reaction score
Booked my A5 in at Mr Tyre /Topgear/ powerflow in Redditch to have back box delete and stage 1 remap, took it in for 12,
they said they'd call when it was done, well by 5pm no call!! So I got a lift there, car was sat with the bonnet up, guy told me he had done the remap but it wouldn't start, said he couldn't do anything until Topgear opened this morning. So I'm stuck with no car until I get a call. On the plus side the exhaust tips look nice

Let's hope not eh, just spoke to em, seem confident it'll be done in a couple of hours.
Fingers x'd

Got it back without the remap, according to this lot the ecu in the 09 on, is different and needs a patch to trick it to accept the remap. One of their top boys is coming next week to do it. The exhaust sounds no different until you hit 2.500 rpm then its a bit like a muted V10 overall I'm pleased with the sound. will try get vids and pics uploaded

Should have taken it to somebody who knows what they are doing when it comes to mapping. Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments is only in Stockport just up the road from Manchester airport.

Reactions: Gazwould
Should have taken it to somebody who knows what they are doing when it comes to mapping. Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments is only in Stockport just up the road from Manchester airport.
It hasn't been mapped yet, but aside from them not having the right map on the day and a promise of the correct one next week, what would be the benefit of me driving to Stockport? Are the maps different in quality? Am I being naive in assuming that if you can remap, you can remap, so to speak

Sorry but yes you are being naive. When a car is mapped there are a lot of things that need to be taken into account to give a good result. It's not just as simple as banging in a load of extra fuel and tweaking up the boost map. But at the simplest level that is what some remaps are. When you go to a big name tuner such as AMD, REVO, etc they employ some of the best tuners in the industry to make good safe maps. The tuner needs to understand the engine he is is working on , the ECU and have the experience and equipment to do the job properly.
A lot of tuning places don't actually create the maps they are putting on your car,they buy them in from other people. So the person tuning your car as you have found out is no more than somebody who is uploading the software to the car. A good map will give you good reliable power that is within the capabilities of the transmission and engine components. It won't go into limp mode or throw fault codes. If you are keeping the DPF on the car it's important that the map takes this into account to avoid any issues in the future. Modern common rail diesel engines with DPF's etc are a lot more complicated that those engines that predated them. The 3.0 TDI is not a run of the mill car, this is probably the first they have done. If you look at the build thread for my car you will see what Rick can do with these engines.

Sorry but yes you are being naive. When a car is mapped there are a lot of things that need to be taken into account to give a good result. It's not just as simple as banging in a load of extra fuel and tweaking up the boost map. But at the simplest level that is what some remaps are. When you go to a big name tuner such as AMD, REVO, etc they employ some of the best tuners in the industry to make good safe maps. The tuner needs to understand the engine he is is working on , the ECU and have the experience and equipment to do the job properly.
A lot of tuning places don't actually create the maps they are putting on your car,they buy them in from other people. So the person tuning your car as you have found out is no more than somebody who is uploading the software to the car. A good map will give you good reliable power that is within the capabilities of the transmission and engine components. It won't go into limp mode or throw fault codes. If you are keeping the DPF on the car it's important that the map takes this into account to avoid any issues in the future. Modern common rail diesel engines with DPF's etc are a lot more complicated that those engines that predated them. The 3.0 TDI is not a run of the mill car, this is probably the first they have done. If you look at the build thread for my car you will see what Rick can do with these engines.
IMG_1893_zpsuaiiijtn.jpg

I have to bow to your knowledge and experience, after reading your build thread. You certainly know what you're talking about. Nobody in their right mind should pass, on any advice that you give.
I had look at Unicorn and they really do look top notch, however with that sort of quality comes a price, one which I fear will blow my budget. I had a look at Viezu, I'm sure you've heard of them, they've quoted me for a stage 1 @+45 bhp +100NM before and after on the dyno for £399, which is bang on for me and they're pretty local. How would that compare with Unicorn?

Looking at Unicorns price list the S4 B8 3.0 TDI is £400 for a stage 1 or 2 map and this would include pre and post dyno runs and knowing Rick a few dyno runs in between whilst he tweaks the map. If power increases is what you are after I can pretty much guarantee you Rick will get more performance out of the car than Viezu will. It's not just the numbers though the peak torque and peak HP only tell part of the story. The driveability and fuel economy combined with the performance really make the remapped 3.0 TDI a different car.
@Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.

Last edited: