A5 2.0 TFSI 208bhp 2009 Turbo noise

CA51HAM

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a 2009 A5 2.0TFSI cabrio with around 43,000 miles.

I've noticed when I have the windows or roof down there is a really noticeable and strange turbo spooling noise when in a high gear and low revs until the power kicks in at mid revs then the noise goes.... It pulls fine and the economy is very good, so no other issues!

I've had turbo petrol and diesels before so I know to expect a whistle but this isn't a progressive smooth whistle, but a bird singing type whistle which seems to fluctuate until the revs have built?

I'd just like the opinion of others with this engine or knowledge as to whether it's a fault or normal? It sounds like an old land rover when I'm pulling away through a built up area or trees!

Hi,

I've got the 2.0 211bhp a5 as well. I'm not sure what noise you are able to hear but I can hear my turbo start spooling after it goes over 2k rpm when my foot is down. The noise sounds more like a soft whistling and then progressive get louder as the revs climb. But even then it's not loud enough to actually be annoying and you can't hear it at all with the windows up.

I have this exact same issue on my S3! and its fairly loud, which is quite annoying as well as embarrassing.
I've had all sorts of checks done on my car and cant find anything!

If you've solved the problem, can you let me know what it is please?