A4 Tiptronic upgrade to paddles

NHN

Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Evening all, I am thinking of getting back to quattro & found nice A4 B7 55 avant 3.0 tdi quattro auto with all the toys in need of some remapping as going from S3 mk1 to S4 B6 to A3 TDI dsg 2wd(which is a unbelievably shockingly good car after driving S cars for years) has now made me wanna go back to 4WD, its just addictive on those corners, lol, but 1st time ever known of an audi with tiptronic that doesnt have the paddles on wheel of some kind.

I did some read ups & found someone changed there standard wheel on there tiptronic to paddles but that was on an allroad old version.

So has anyone done/know anything about upgrading to paddle wheel, car has full tiptronic & has the newer mfsw but no paddles on back of the wheel, I was hoping with some audi's they had prewired for the paddles or was just a CAN wiring connection needed.

I'm sure can be done as just wiring nothing mechanical & then a slight bit of coding with vag should enable it nicely.

If can be done then I'll buy it tomorrow, for the family of course, you know bigger car & dog etc(even though no dog or kids yet) lol, I'll get them after the car, thats what I'll tell her anyway.

Thanks.

Nigel.

PS. Petroldave if you're about, any ideas mate?

Urm this could be the one place that might be able to do it, update soon people.

http://www.vwcruise.com/18.html

Also they might have found way round the upgrading the A3 paddle old style wheel to newer style with mfsw & flat bottom wheel for the pre-facelift current A3.

Maybe I will keep my A3 aswell afterall, lol.

Watch this space while I ring them.

Dave maybe they can do the upgrade of the wheel we previously discussed over on navi mate, let you know for the record.

Thanks.

Nigel.

Looks like I'm just doing this thread by myself, lol, but I spoke with the guy at the website & I was right about the a4, just needs mostly changing wheel with connections to the can bus, so thats solved that one easily enough given its already tip auto anyway, but also enables me to stick in a flat bottom wheel in place.

Which leads me to the a3, I was trying to work out how I could have a flat bottom mfsw on the older style wheel with paddles so could use my recent rns-e install, btooth & the SDS feature awaiting updating by me, but airbags did me in, until now, new airbags have the 2 stage airbag system for heavy impact & I assume low impact which makes sense, but you can actually connect to the heavy impact airbag wiring which is the same as the old airbags & apparently this doesnt pull up any faults in VAG or 5052 as its the same airabg, no need for change in controllers either so no problems with airbag systems, invalid insurance etc etc, resulttttttt

Now this at moment is just what they said but he sounded damn sure & websites says can be done & also he sells complete wheels with airbags & fitting on fleabay, so I do actually believe the guy, if it doesnt work out I can easily swap back to old style myself, so I will put them to the test & try it out, update you later people, but looks good.

Thanks.

Nigel.

Yes the flappy paddle steering wheel mod is pretty simple to be honest.

I did mine, when I had the A4.

What you will need is a new wiring loom, and the slip ring.

There is a really good write up over on tyresmoke http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/showthread.php?t=86553&highlight=MFSW

The remap is a good idea too... go and see Ed at APS, he'll sort you out.
Do yourself a favour, and get it done straight away rather than wait to get it done...
... better economy, less hunting for gears, and AWESOME TORQUE.

Hi, thanks for info, ah so it is a plug n play as I thought, cool, but his post on tsmoke shows just standard mfsw not paddles(or am I blind) but I assume it just picks up via can anyway so a vag coding will sort that out huh.

My mate Simon bought AMDTechnik so he does any maps for me on my audi's which saves me few quid & they are all much the same these days, but thanks anyway as another company to look at what they can do above others.

I'll update you when done & also gonna do the mfsw flat bottom on my a3 just for a laugh, now I know airbag system will work as stock, lol, toys for boys huh fella, love it.

Thanks again.

Nigel.

Yes - it's just the wheel that is different.

I will try and find the boxes with the part numbers on.

What colour interior is it - I have a beige four spoke MFSW with flappy paddles going spare.

The (German) bloke on eBay told me it was for a grey interior - he was wrong!

Good old AmD - the guys at APS all originated from there anyway, so it is the same engine maps they use... can't rate them highly enough.

I used to get just over 40mpg (that's a true calculated figure, and not what DIS says - which is 47mpg)

The most noticeable thing for me was the increase in torque - on crusie control, it no longer hunts for gears (it's the tiptronic box). It's so torquey now, it just pulls like buggery in sixth (even when overtaking and going up hills)

Figures from the rolling road are as follows:
before
229 BHP @ 3875 RPM
315 lb/ft @ 3784 RPM
after
280 BHP @ 3882 RPM
405 lb/ft @ 2735 RPM

Brilliant!