1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 TFSI slight hesitation as revs normalise to idle

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by prel2000, Feb 24, 2012.

1. prel2000

prel2000 Member

My 2.0TFSI Avant Quattro (manual) is experiencing slight issue as the revs normalise back to idle.

I experience this whilst in traffic (on and off the acceleration) or as I approach lights to come to a stand still. The engine seems to fluctuate in revs for about a second before normalising to 800rpm. Its fine once it gets moving - theres no loss in power or hesitation and the car has never cut out. I have only been experiencing this in the last 2 months or so.

The car has done 81,000 miles and has a full history. Remapped by AMD and has the revised diverter valve.

Ive not had it in to get it checked over, just yet. However, I have a OBD reader and there are no faults logged.

Has anybody experienced this or have an idea where the problem lies?

Thanks in advance.
  2. solaris

solaris Member

Its tough to say without fault codes however the pcv may be on the way out, the stock one is poor anyway so may be worth changing this and/or inspecting the pipes to eliminate it. Basic sysmptoms are eratic idle, boost loss, oil leak so it would be a good starting point.
    Get well soon :happy:
  3. suckedin

suckedin New Member

Hi,
    Does it seem to 'hold on to the revs a bit' also when you press the clutch down between gear change? Mine does both of these and I've been to told it's the clutch switch. I've just not got round to changing it yet.
  4. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep

i had this
    clutch switch was at fault
  5. solaris

solaris Member

This may be the part number for the clutch switch 7H0927189

Also a picky of where it goes (Number 2)...seems to be a simple enough swap

[​IMG]
  6. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

Might be carbon build up on the throttle body (think it was there....), had this on my old one and caused it to hold revs a bit longer.
  7. Craig Cull

Craig Cull Well-Known Member

I have exactly the same problem with mine at the same mileage. Is the clutch switch always the case? Or could it also be other problems? Hope you manage to get it sorted mate :)
  8. mancdan

mancdan Member

I also get this issue from time to time, usually only when changing from first to second.
  9. prel2000

prel2000 Member

Hi All, just to give you an update on this.

It was the indeed the clutch switch at fault. Did attempt a clean of the throttle body at first but didn't fix and then swapped out the clutch switch and problem sorted.

Thanks to all that suggested this as the mechanic wouldn't never had thought of that and no fault codes logged to point in that direction.

Car does appear to be running smoother due to the throttle body clean, so maybe worth doing both if you are experiencing a similar issue. Bare in mind that throttle body may need adaptation after clean.

Thanks
  10. mancdan

mancdan Member

Was the clutch switch easy to replace and what was the cost of the new part?
  11. prel2000

prel2000 Member

About 15 mins to replace.

Part was 13 + VAT.
  12. mancdan

mancdan Member

Did you get part from ebay or Audi garage?
  13. Craig Cull

Craig Cull Well-Known Member

just done mine as a result of this post and its sorted the problem. cost me £16 from audi took me 5 mins to change. cheers :)
  14. prel2000

prel2000 Member

Still experiencing similar issues although not as bad.

The symptoms are of a slight miss at idle when depressing clutch, turning the steering wheel when stationary, using the electrics inc central locking. Its almost like there isnt enough power in the battery or alternator isnt doing its job. Did a battery check and it came up as 13.8 which is normal, no?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks