1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 TDI won't start. thought fuel related but not sure

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by DRL87, Feb 3, 2009.

1. DRL87

DRL87 New Member

Hi guys. The car is a 96 A4 TDI red eye. The car was running fine till one day i drove for ages with the fuel light on. Went out to start it later and it would crank but not start so i thought i had ran out of fuel. Put about 8 litres of diesel in then still wouldn't start.

Looked on some forums and read about making sure the diesel filter was full of diesel so today i went out took a bolt out the top of the filter and tried to put diesel in, it was full. Decided to take a fuel line out of an injector and when i turned the ignition diesel was firing out the pipe which leads me to believe that the fueling is in order but i dunno.

When i used to put the ignition on with low fuel the fuel light would come on and i would hear a pinging noise. Now the tank has diesel in it above the low level but the low fuel light remains on but no pinging noise.

Anyone have any advice or thoughts they would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.
  2. vw754

vw754 vorsprung Durch Technik

disconnect the battery,leave it for 20 minutes,re connect then try.
    let me know.