1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 TDI Tuning Possibilities

Redstorm Feb 24, 2010

1. Redstorm

Redstorm New Member

I am looking to buy a 2001/02 A4 1.9/2.5 TDI Quattro ( I fancy the Quattro partly for the improved road holding and partly as I have been told it will cope with the modifications I want to do better - apparently once you start getting into higher BHP figures front wheel drive only starts to spin as it cant cope with the power???) with a view to doing some mild(ish) tuning. I would appreciate any comments or opinions as well as advice from all forum members. The list below is what I am considering.

1. Probably the most obvious choice - A remap of the ECU, comments & advice welcome on best companies please ( I read there is a thread on here with opinions / poll on the best companies - please can someone post a link). Also is there a mod available that lets you choose from a number of different programs e.g. Economy, Normal and sport or +20 BHP / +40 BHP / +60BHP as an example?

2. I read that increase the nozzle / injector sizes is a cheap and efficient power upgrade. Apparently a good idea if you do a remap, again comments welcome.

3. Upgrading the turbo. I have seen a company online, JBS, who seem to do a lot for VAG cars, I have read its possible to get over 200 BHP from upgrading the turbo on a standard 1.9 TDI 130 BHP engine. I want to know if this is the gain simply from changing the turbo or is this also including the remap? advice on other suppliers also welcomed

4. LPG Fumigation system. I read and understand that by adding LPG fumigation (the Diesel world equivalent of NOS) you not only gain BHP but improve MPG / efficiency by improving the amount of diesel actually burnt. Typically improving efficiency from around 75% upto 90%. Is this true and could it work in conjunction with all the above? I also believe this actually cleans the engine too?? Can this mod improve MPG as well or only give a power boost?

I also just read an impressive review about a company call Allard Motor Co. who tuned an A3 2.0 TDI to 317 BHP, does anyone know if they are any good?

Finally I am still trying to find some reviews / road tests online of some modded TDI's Audi or VW I am not too bothered, I just want to get an idea of what effect the above modifications might have on 0-60 times and top speeds as well as MPG efficiency figures. Most of the reviews (and its not that many) that I have found seem to concerntrate on bragging about the BHP and Torque, but I want to know what this translates to on the open roads.

Looking forward to your comments