a4 tdi service

johnny a4

Reaction score
I took the air filter out this evening and it was filthy, so I think I will give the car a good service, is there a good thread on here for a diy oil change etc.

I did mine the other week using a sealey oil pump so didnt even have to jack the car to empty the oil out, just put it in the oil dip stick blank off and pumped the oil out.

What engine is yours as oil capacities and others parts may be different?

For sure you will need:
-19mm spanner for sump
-little star head alan keys for undertray I think, standard in the most tool kits
-32mm low profile socket for oil filter

-FOR A 2.0 TDI 170 !! 4.7 litre capacity of 5w 30 which is the same oil used in the rs4 and allot of other models, but double check yours first. Also Quantum oil is the same as Castrol (made by the same company, same quality, just labelled different for cheaper sale to vw and audi service teams)

Dont want to give you the wrong advice if you have a different engine tbh. Lots of videos on youtube if you search by engine.

Reactions: johnny a4
+ 1 Sealey 6.5 L TP69 extractor.

Quantum LongLife III oil
and Mann oil filter .

Dont forget to warm the engine first if using the extractors, just thins the oil and helps the pump extract it easier if you choose this method. Can be quite the lengthy process if not.

I did mine the other week using a sealey oil pump so didnt even have to jack the car to empty the oil out, just put it in the oil dip stick blank off and pumped the oil out.

What engine is yours as oil capacities and others parts may be different?

For sure you will need:
-19mm spanner for sump
-little star head alan keys for undertray I think, standard in the most tool kits
-32mm low profile socket for oil filter

-FOR A 2.0 TDI 170 !! 4.7 litre capacity of 5w 30 which is the same oil used in the rs4 and allot of other models, but double check yours first. Also Quantum oil is the same as Castrol (made by the same company, same quality, just labelled different for cheaper sale to vw and audi service teams)

Dont want to give you the wrong advice if you have a different engine tbh. Lots of videos on youtube if you search by engine.
Thanks memo for the reply I have the 20. TDI 136 bhp, 5w 30 I would take it would be fully synthetic oil.

Easy way to check - go to euro car parts web site, enter your reg and it should tell you what filters, oil etc to use. Again check your hand book for your oil spec

I did mine at the weekend, same engine as yours. You can get everything you need on ebay from Audi, vw and skoda dealers on there. I buy the genuine longlife on there too. Oil, Filter and fair filer came to less than 50 quid.

What make is the long life oil, I was just looking on eBay and some will not post over here to N Ireland but I will have another look again and see what I can get

Audi recomend 'Castrol edge long life 5w30' (gold bottle), but the Audi I got mine from recently use 'Quantum long life 5w30', and I have used 'Mobil1 long life' in her too, all 3 of them I am confident in :)
call your local motor factors and they will get you an oil suitable off the shelf.

Or enter your registration on Euros, I imagine there will be one near.
http://www.eurocarparts.com/engineoil