1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 T Sport engine swap issues

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Oranoco, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

Some may remember I purchased a cheap A4 T Sport with the intention of fixing it and selling on for a nice profit. Unfortunately the cambelt failure that the AA man had diagnosed actually turned out to be a thrown rod. I ended up selling the car on to a mate of mine (who may have signed up on here).

He obtained a replacement AEB from a Passat and we set about stripping the old dead motor from the bay.

As it was out we fitted a new clutch kit and proceeded to fit the new engine. For the life of us we can't get the poxy thing back onto the box so we can bolt it. A couple of times we've been so close we could smell it but then just couldn't get the bolts in to secure it.

Anybody offer any advise that's done a swap, we're both pretty competent but are about ready to call it a day and just buy a Vauxhall.
  2. ian52

ian52 2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

Are you 100% sure the clutch is in the centre? If it is just persuade it to go on.
  3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

Its probably clutch alignment, as above!

Hows the cylinder head on the engine with the thrown rod?
  4. Foxmeister

Foxmeister Fired Up!

Yep, clutch likely. Did you use a clutch alignment tool, or homemade one even??? Once properly centred, some brute strength usually gets it straight on!
  5. ian52

ian52 2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

When i did mine i lined it up by eye and from what i remember it went on the shaft ok but the last inch or so was a bit tighter and just needed a bit of foce to get it home.
  6. Foxmeister

Foxmeister Fired Up!

Maybe best listen to this guy^^^^, he seems to know wot hes on about!!!!
  7. Oranoco

Cheers guys, yes I did use a clutch alignment tool. Maybe I'm not being brutal enough with it.

No idea in condition of the old head. We were going to strip the old unit down and see what could be salvaged. Feel sorry for whoever the engine came from though as it's obviously had a major service shortly before the car got totalled as the belts are all like new. Came complete with wiring harness, coil packs and ECU. Bit of a bargain at £350
  8. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

Let me know, because if its in good nick (ie not full of sludge) and cheap i'll have it.
  9. Oranoco

I'll let you know mate :) Or Rather I'll get my mate to let you know as it's his car now after all
  10. murran

murran Active Member

have you left the 'box in the car then? might be an idea the take the slave cylinder out of the box? it'll have extended and your figthing that too. also try rotating the engine a 1/4 turn and try wiggling it on again.
    you shouldnt have to fight it.... ive seen people smash the spigot bearing by being ignorant and using the bolts to pull it up the last 1/2 inch.

alignment wise, theres three places around the edge of the pressure plate where you can see the friction plate inbetween the flywheel and pressure plate. stick your finger in and feel if the 3 spots all feel even. ie its in the middle.
  11. Oranoco

Typical, after all that ball ache, today I popped in and the poxy thing almost fell into place. In just 2 hours the engine was in and 80% of the plumbing and wiring was completed. Sods law eh?