A4 Sump Bolt

THE MONSTER

Reaction score
Audi a4 1.8t 1997 Sport Aeb Engine..

Has anyone used a Oil Sump Bolt from GSf It's totally different from the original..

The Original is £9 + VAT from Audi and GSf Bolts are pennies but the difference is the original has a spread bolt of about 1-1/4" and you then put the Copper Washer on has normal to spread when you tighten up..

The Gsf Bolt has about 5/8" Spread Bolt and comes with a Captivated Metal Washer and you just tighten that up with no Copper Washer which I'm assured by the folk at Gsf is what everyone is using now..

When you get underneath and see the original this gsf bolt is big time different..

But has I say they are all using this Bolt now according to Gsf they have sold 1000's..

Last edited:
have you got a photo?

Early cars used a much bigger filler plug, which looks like a nut with a huge washer built in, and the plug itself is around 1" in diameter. Later cars used a smaller plug which looks more or less like a bolt, and has a seperate alloy or copper washer.

They are NOT interchangeable!

There are a few revisions of the later small plug too, they used to come with a seperate bolt and washer, whereas now the washer comes fixed onto the bolt. These obviously are interchangable, and this is probably what GSF mean when they say everyone uses them.

If your car has the early large plug, the new part wont even screw in.

Have the same problem with the '98 version of the same car, the dealer always gives me the smaller version whenever I go and get some oil which I end up chucking as its of no use.

You'd have thought they know the difference as I always give them my reg/chassis number.:asskicking:

The bigger sump plugs can also be a complete ***t to remove., make sure you have plenty of room under the car.

The bigger sump plugs can also be a complete ***t to remove., make sure you have plenty of room under the car.

Replying to above the reason I had to get a new Sump plug was because some great mechanic had rounded the ends off the old one..

I have had a go at getting a 17mm Socket on it but it looks worse now than before and it will not shift it's solid and all it will do is round the edges off more..STUCK At the moment:banghead: any ideas anyone..

Last edited:
Kev(Aragorn) you were right about the Plugs they were different and I have included pics to show them..

The Guys down at Gsf all said 100% (the one on the left)the later one would fit my car Aeb engine gave then the Chassis number everything..

The one in Charge said he would risk his job on it because I said I did not want to take the Old Plug off to be stuck there without a Plug to put in..

You will be ok trust me he said I sell 1000's every week this is the one you want...Yeh right..

By the way for those interested the Plug on the Left from Gsf was 96p the Plug on the right from Audi was £12.80..

Plus now I'm in Stuck because I cannot get the old one off..

2011_0705Receipt20012.jpg

Last edited:
Right I have had a think about this and the only thing I can come up with is to get my mate who is a Welder/Body repair man to weld a Nut on the end of the damaged nut..

Cannot really think any other way..and it stops messing about..

Any other ideas ...

Seeing as the bolt head sounds pretty muller'd already I'd try a pair of stilsons and a length of pipe on the end of it. Failing that welding something on it sounds a good option

yep, find a big nut that will fit over the existing one (or drill out a smaller one so it will fit over), and weld the inside of it to the sump plug!

yep, find a big nut that will fit over the existing one (or drill out a smaller one so it will fit over), and weld the inside of it to the sump plug!

Right we tried to weld a Big nut to the mangled one and after several attempts would not weld good enough to get a proper fixing(for some reason it did not want to weld to that backing to the nut)..

The Sump is made of Alloy and you could easily burn a hole straight through it..

I eventually got the B------d off with a Hammer and big Chisel so all is well again..

Thanks to everyone that put their two-peneth in..

Last edited: