1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 SE lowering options

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by manosskali, Sep 5, 2011.

1. manosskali

manosskali Member

[Sep 5, 2011]
    Hi guys

I have got an A4 SE with 17 inch alloys and as you can probably imagine it sits too high up. I am looking into lowering it about 30-35mm but want to do it as economically as possible without loosing too much of the comfort the SE suspension provides. Could i just swap the SE springs for Sport ones or would i need to swap the standard shocks for Sport ones as well? I have also seen these: eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace . Has anyone used them in the past? Ideally i didnt want to spend that much (considering fitting costs too) and if i can get a decent stance with OEM Sport springs then i think i would go for that option. Any advice please?
    Thanks

Manos
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Sep 5, 2011]
    stick sports / s.line ones on it 20 to 25 mm lower and the ride is good
  4. Stubie

Stubie Member

[Sep 5, 2011]
    Is it worth going the spring route on a SE, as that's my next plan of attack ??
  5. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 5, 2011]
  6. manosskali

manosskali Member

[Sep 6, 2011]
    thanks for the advice

i ll keep looking for a set of sports although they are hard to find at sensible money

quattrojames: looking forward to see the difference your new springs make!
  7. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

[Sep 6, 2011]
    As mentioned the Eibach or also H&R springs are a very good option.

Damian @ DPM Performance
  8. deanski

deanski wax on, wax off

[Sep 6, 2011]
    to give an idea this is mine. I went from SE to eibach sportlines. also upgraded to 17s. they have lowered a little more (not a lot though) as the pic was taken the day after fitting.

[​IMG]

after

[​IMG]
  9. quattrojames

[Sep 6, 2011]
    Me too.... although it's slow progress so far, I did at least manage to open the box today .....

I too gave up waiting for a set of secondhand sports springs to fit mine come up.

[​IMG]
  10. deanski

deanski wax on, wax off

[Sep 6, 2011]
    think i paid £140 for mine from venom. not too bad I thought.
  11. manosskali

manosskali Member

[Sep 7, 2011]
    Deanski: Yeah i like the new stance, i dont want to go too low because i live in Sheffield and the road quality around here is ****.
    You said its now gone a little lower, would you have a recent photo now they 've settled? What is the ride like compared to the SE - obviously going to be harder but how would you rate it in comparison? I think the price you paid sounds quite reasonable - as long as you are happy with the result.

Quattrojames: I like the look of that - few things give as much pleasure as a new bit for the car! Looking forwars to see them fitted!
    The last brand new shiny car bit i bought was a Prodrive back box for my Subaru - someone else is enjoying that now. I ve not had my A4 for very long though - it will get some treats too!

Would i be right to think that springs are model specific due to different engine weight etc? For example could i fit sport springs from an 1.9 or 2.5 diesel to my FSI?
  12. quattrojames

[Sep 7, 2011]
    You would be right. Technically they will fit but the different spring weightings would play havoc with your ride height, it might be fine but it might not, and I didn't want to find out the hard way! Hence why I gave up searching for such a specific item and bought aftermarket.
  13. deanski

deanski wax on, wax off

[Sep 7, 2011]
    the ride is not that much different TBH. it gets a little "choppy" on a rough road but I always thought the A4 wasn't a great ride. my previous car was a rover 75 which was like a magic carpet but a lot more rolly. The eibachs have transformed the handling though. it is really flat through corners that i used to get a bit of a lean on with SE suspension. This is a more recent pic. it doesnt look much different really LOL. I dont have any trouble with speed humps or anything.

[​IMG]
  14. manosskali

manosskali Member

[Sep 7, 2011]
    quattrojames: thanks for confirming, it sounds like i ll also be going down the aftermarket route. considering that TPS quoted £260 for a sports springs set, aftermarket is by far the most economical option too.

deanski: on your 'before' photo it seemed that your front end was sitting maybe a bit higher than the back? i ve seen that the eibach sprortlines are supposed to lower the back by 35-40mm and the front by 45-50mm. would you say thats an accurate estimate? is your front now sitting lower than the back - cant really tell on your recent photo - or is it level?

thanks for the info.
  15. manosskali

manosskali Member

[Sep 7, 2011]
    forgot to mention that improving the handling is also one of my main objectives. although i find the ride comfortable, going through corners enthousiastically could make you feel a bit sea sick at the moment. finding the right balance of ride comfort / good handling / aggresive stance is very important but not easily achieved without spending a fortune on expensive coilovers
  16. deanski

deanski wax on, wax off

[Sep 7, 2011]
    it will never be level as the front wheel arches on the b6 are higher than the rears.
  17. manosskali

manosskali Member

18. quattrojames

[Sep 8, 2011]
    I suspect I'll end up with B5 perches on mine, going in for the Eibachs tomorrow, if I was a bit more organised I'd have got some perches too.
  19. manosskali

manosskali Member

[Sep 9, 2011]
    Good luck for tomorrow, looking forward to see the results. See what you think when Eibachs are fitted, If you feel perches are needed you can go for them too
  20. manosskali

manosskali Member

[Sep 9, 2011]
    just thought (this mind sound silly due to the fact that we are talking about different models anyway, B5-B6) would the perches need to be model specific too? could i fit perches of a diesel B5 on my B6 petrol?
  21. quattrojames

[Sep 9, 2011]
    I've just collected mine, it looks a LOT better. I think B5 perches on the front are a good idea, not essential short term but I'll perhaps do it when I change the shocks.

Will get some pics up soon.