A4 Rev check

D_J

Reaction score
Hi
I've just bought a 97/R A4 Avant Auto, and noticed that it seems to rev quite highly compared to what I'm used to in decent petrol cars...just wanted to know if this is normal?
It revs at about 3.5K at 70ish, does that sound right? For ref my A4 1.8t 190 is more like 2K at that speed, is this just a difference of power and fuel type?

Thanks!
D_J

Sorry forgot to state the obvious that the car is A4 1.9 TDI Auto...

Seems quite high, iirc on my manual 1.9tdi it does 90 @ 3krpm

But never driven an auto, but seems high.

^^^^ Agreed. 2.75K at 80ish... 2.2K at 70ish.
Is the auto box a 4speed? Is the 4th very long?

seems really high to be honest ive got the 2.5tdi and at 70 im on 2k thats max i will double check tomorrow

You've got a 6spd box, us 110ers 'ave only got 5 cogs...
My missus 2.0TDCi cmax sits at below 2k at 70.... 6 speed there too.

Well after testing it out some more, mine's nearly 4K at 80 which seems really high.

I don't know how many gears it's got - can't find it in the manual and the hpi records it as a 5spd manual, rather than automatic, so that's no help.

In case it helps you diagnose, I've noticed that it feels really low on power as well...pulling away it revs really high but takes ages to get going.

Seems to be doing okish on economy, done nearly 300 on the first half tank (mainly extra urban though)

Thanks for the advice so far!

Sounds like it's not shifting higher than 3rd. According to Parkers, yours has a 4 speed auto.

It may not be a gearbox problem though as it could be holding a lower gear due to something else not working properly. Probably best to get it scanned for fault codes before anything else.

Is there much history with the car? When was the gearbox fluid last changed?

I ended up taking the car back because it was still in warranty, and they replaced the ECU (thank god it was covered!), which has solved the problem of the car not getting out of 3rd gear.

However, since having that fitted (which they made very clear was their last act on the one month warranty), the car is now having a big rev jump every time the auto box changes from 2nd to 3rd, which is very severe and makes it lurch on the upchange.

It can be avoided if I keep my foot entirely off the accelerator pedal during the entire 2nd -> 3rd change, but that's very tricky indeed :mad:

Any ideas what this might be?

That's no good at all. If it's under warranty get it sorted while it's on their tab. I'm not clued up on autoboxes at all and if the ECU has been changed there may be something else on the way out too. I'm guessing the garage scanned the car to find the fix? Get them to scan it again, or if you have access to VAGCOM scan it yourself and see if there are any fault codes. Better to get a full diagnosis before randomly changing parts mate. Was is an Audi shop you bought it from?