A4 Quattro S/S Exhaust Options

Reaction score
Morning all,

Im a newbie to this forum although I've been trawling on here for a wee bit.

I'm looking for some suggestions on a good S/S exhaust for my 1.8T QS. I was all set on a Milltek, but there seemed to be a lot of threads on here about how bad the fit was and it's put me off.

I was looking for something a bit special - In the past I've had an AC Schnitzer exhuast on an M3 and a really good Abbott Racing system on a Saab Aero, so I fancy something of similar quality. Obviously fit is very important here, so no rattling.

I see APR, Neuspeed and ABT do their own exhausts for Audis etc, does anyone on here have any experience of them?

Regards N

A mate and I fitted my Milltek and even though it was 2nd hand, we got it on fine. The only problem I can see with one is that the hanger bars are too wide, causing possible swaying from side to side producing knocking. We used cable ties to take up the slack to stop sideways movement. I have absolutely no complaints.
An exhuast can really only be as good as the fitter in my opinion, unless it is obviously made really badly.

You've had the same kind of cars as me in the past, i've flirted with a couple of BM's and just before my A4 I had a 9000 CS Carlsson with the 2.3T too - not quite an Aero but still v. quick!

Good luck and welcome mate.

Hi Jay, thanks for the welcome.

I agree with you with regards to the fitter, you just don't know how competent they are going to be. Thats why I wanted to try and minimise the potential for problems by trying to get something that fits as well as possible.

Im actually surprised at how hard it is to find retailors that provide full detailed exhaust applications for the old A4, if your not looking for Milltek or similar - only found one half decent one for supersprint and the ABT website lists everything in german, even when you select the english version lol. It was so much simpler with BMs.

I always liked the look of the old Carlssons, they had bomb proof engines that just went on for miles :cool:

Regards N

had my Miltek fittted about 18 months ago and no problems with it at all, no rattles etc. Nice sound too....not too abtrusive, but a bit deeper. Also no drone on the motorway either which is a bonus. Only downside is cost

I always liked the look of the old Carlssons, they had bomb proof engines that just went on for miles :cool:

Ha ha, I can vouch for that, well kind of, I bought mine with 220k on it! I did eventually kill it though, head gasket I suspected so I flogged it. Used it for 8 months or so and sold it for £200 less than I paid for it.

Back to the audi's and I spent ages looking, even on ebay germany they were expensive, where most stuff is relatively cheap.
If you can afford it I would go for a Milltek, i'm happy with mine, finish looks real good, have bought new ones in the past from Magnex and Mongoose and the Milltek is easily as good, if not better (stronger) looking in construction and as mac1403 says, they aren't too loud and chavvy and there is no horrible drone when you're at cruising speed and throttle position.

I've got a supersprint and im well pleased with it. Went on with no problems too.

Im a bit surprised no-one seems to be running ABT or APR systems on their A4s.

I'm gonna do a bit more digging but if all else fails then it looks like its a choice between Milltek and Supersprint. I think Star Performance supply both, so I'll have a word with them nearer the time and see what they recommend.

Regards,

N

Millteks are great exhausts, so long as they are fitted properley. Most people get a tight fit on them and forget that they will expand due to heat !

my milltek was 2nd hand and fitted better than the OEM one!!