1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 Quattro/Non-Quattro

Discussion in 'Handling' started by Rich, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Rich

Rich Rollin on boost mother hubbards

Whats the different like in handeling between the 2? currently I have the non Quattro and I get the feeling somtimes theres too much power for just them front wheels on there own. I mean its possible to wheel spin in 2nd gear in this car :p

IS the different in the 4WD worth thinking about selling my 2WD and grabbing a Quattro?

Are there any benefits to having a 2WD > a 4WD/RWD ?

I think it might just be a case of the grass is always greener on the other side :D
  2. mas

mas Member

for a while we had two 1998 a4 avant tdi's same engine (AFN 110) but one quattro one normal.

first point is that the quattro had sport suspension - and I think its the case that all quattros had sport (1BE) suspension.

the 2wd felt a little nippier (but the quattro had an aftermarket maf which I think impacted - it was solid rather than thin wire)

handling wise the awd won hands down. even my wife could tell the differece and prefered the awd.

I would go with the awd every time.
  3. fjtwelve

fjtwelve Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Recently drove a 2wd 56 plate A6 2.7tdi while my 51 plate 2.5tdi quattro was in dock. No comparison 4wd better. More grip, no wheelspin, just feels more planted on the road.
  4. Joni_s

Joni_s Member

I second that.
    Just got my pug 205 gti road rally car back on the road. Obviously totally different car to my a4 2.5 tdi quattro but i can full power round wet corners in the audi and pull away from standstill in wet weather with no spin. Whereas with the pug in wet weather especially i have to play with the throttle in order to avoid under/over steer when cornering and i've also forgotten how incredibly easy it is to wheel spin.

4wd is great and makes driving a whole lot easier but it may take some of the fun/skill out of driving.
  5. Rich

Yeah, main reason I ask is having jsut got my A4 B5 I'm kinda wondering how much I can throw it about before I wipe out and die :p

Before that I had the Astra sport hatchback, which had TC and was quite nimble and you could just chuck it into corners etc with no worries. I guess its as its a new car ya just need to get used to it and learn the limits without causing pain :p
  6. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

I have a quattro A4 and its grip is immense, I have never managed a wheelspin (maybe the engine isn't powerful enough)
    I went round a roundabout like a madman the other night and because it was freezing the car slid sideways, but only for about 2 seconds, the ESP kicked in and it was like a huge hand had come out of the sky and put my car back on the correct path minus the slide, it was amazing. Quattro and ESP rocks!
  7. Rich

Yeah, I'm jellous of that now :)

I think I may save up a few K over the next few months and see if I can get a part exchange somwhere and swap mine for a Quattro!