A4 key transponder

pilcob

Reaction score
I have a new set of locks originally from Audi but purchased off Ebay unused, I have read that Audi supply keys with the new lockset that are partly programmed with the model and chassis number.

My question is, will the transponders in the key/lock set I have purchased only be useable for the original vehicle it was purchased for, or can the chassis details be changed to match my own vehicle, in the event that I need new transponders are virgin transponders programmable through VagCom/VCDS?, I have VCDS 10.6 and the SKC for my car.

Thanks.

Not sure at all about the first question.

I dont seem why it would only be usable on another car if you code it correctly.

Yes if you have your SKC you can code it to the immobiliser using VCDS, (iirc it must be a new transponder) i did it on my A3 a long while ago. Its worth doing plenty of reading around the subject though.

Not sure at all about the first question.

I dont seem why it would only be usable on another car if you code it correctly.

Yes if you have your SKC you can code it to the immobiliser using VCDS, (iirc it must be a new transponder) i did it on my A3 a long while ago. Its worth doing plenty of reading around the subject though.

Have done lots of research on subject, but so many different opinions, the more I research the more confused I become, information overload I think!

A local locksmith recoded my keys & cut a new one on his van for me when my wife lost her keys -- I called him out in case the person who found the key alongside my wifes address (her handbag was lost) arrived to drive the car away.
He said depending on the type of key I had, would depend on what transponder is fitted - VW fit different chips to different keys. the keys aren't interchangeable if the chip is different.
I suppose it depends on whether your chip is the same in the new key as it is in the old. If it isn't you won't be able to get it to work.

Bob.