A4 Judder.

otis_b

Reaction score
Hello People,

I have a B6 Audi A4. When idle, the engine judders and the whole car shakes from side to side. As soon as you apply a bit of throttle this stops.

Any ideas as to what this could be? Ran VAG Com on it, there are no apparent faults.

Thanks in advance.

Otis

I have the same issue when idling. It's not very bad but it is noticeable.

The local garage thought it maybe clutch/flywheel fault or misalignment. Clutch hsd high biting point so maybe knackered. Having it looked at next week.

mine is a TDI.

The garage did't seem to think it was normal. It's only a slight juddering not as bad as the first post suggests. If it's a known problem what's the resolution?

As far as I know, even Audi don't know what the solution is, look on any Audi forum and you are bound to find TDi owners posting similar reports, it annoys me, I'd love to find a solution, but I haven't found anything yet.

This sounds like a classic engine mount failure

One or more of them mounts is ECU controlled to soften when running at idle and then stiffen above 1100rpm (IIRC). It's achieved with a solenoid that controls a valve in the mount. This either allows damping oil through a value or doesn't.

It should show up in VAGCOM. Do a search on here and you'll find plenty of threads about it.

When I had mine tested for faults via VAG-COM nothing showed up.

Whats the cost for new engine mounts with labour approx?

I believe the mount is about £60 and it's supposedly easy enough to do yourself although I imagine you need some way of supporting the engine.

I think the mount is around £80 from the dealers, I did mine myself.. only tools required were sockets and a trolley jack (to lift the engine up) it quite easy to do..

Mine past 2 A4's only shock when I had a tuning box installed.. apart from taht they were fine...