A4 hire car

pdv40

Reaction score
I've had a 2.0 TDi Avant S-Line as a courtesy car for three days now and I think there is something wrong with it.

It's an 09 with 7000 miles on, one of the last B7's I would have thought.

The steering feels very very odd. Coming from an 07 A3 2.0 TDi S-Line, it feels very weighty without any real feel. It seems very prone to follow cambers in the road and a bump or uneven surface will throw the wheel out of my hands. There are some large two lane roundabouts near me where you can carry a lot of speed, and generate some serious cornering G's. In my A3 initial turn in is light, and as the suspension loads and speed increases into and out of the apex the steering firms up. In the A4 the steering is very very heavy on initial turn in, to the point of being difficult, and lightens significantly through the apex and exit, almost as if the steering servo is wired back to front.

I know the car is a fair bit heavier and larger than an A3 but on a motorway cruise it wanders around significantly and feels almost like it's steering itself. With hands off the wheel you can visibly see the wheel move left and right as it follows cambers.

Is it that I'm just not used to how an A4 drives or is something wrong?

There is no kerb damage to the alloys so I don't think it's tracking is mis-aligned, it feels very unusual.

Sorry for the lengthy post :blahblah1:

No one else had any experience of this?

I've had this on my previous S-line 2.0 TFSI, although not as bad as you make out.

But the difference is the 2.0TFSI A4 also has the electro assist steering as std, where as the 2.0TDI it was optional. Does the A3 have electro assist ?

You haven't really said what speeds your doing all these manourves, so couldn't comment in comparison.