A4 FSI - Steering adjustment advise please ?

I

imported_Smudge973

Hi all, I drive a 04 A4 FSi sport - the steering wheel is not central, had the tracking done and this has made no improvement - when driving in a straight line you have to hold the wheel slightly to the right - very annoying - But some days it will be perfect - any ideas ?

Also i find the engine noisy especially after a long run - I recently has a new cylinder head as it was drinking oil approx 1ltr per 600miles - thought this might have cured the problem but it hasnt - Audi say this in normal - any comments would be greatly received.

Many thanks

Small adjustments of steering should be possible via the tracking. It is very unusual for a car like this to suffer from this problem as the ESP/ESC needs to know what direction the steering wheel is in. The ESP/ESC relies on a sensor on the steering column, which at present will not be reporting steering info correctly.

I had an A4 Avant 1.8 which got very noisy when low on oil, it used a lot of oil for the first 30,000 miles but not anywhere near as much as yours. The engine became a lot quieter after the cambelt was changed. Maybe your cambelt was not fitted back correctly after the head replacement.

Sounds like you need to take your car to another dealer to take a look at these problems. The engine problem sounds serious, the steering is trivial but should be easily fixed.

Thanks for the info - Appreciated ! Will do so!

Hum, oh well. Mine hasn't eaten oil now lately, so I have to see about that. Could be that yours was just faulty. Maybe the new cylinder head is too 'tight' compared to the rest of the engine, and that's what makes the noise.

- Yak