a4 engine help

jimmy77

Reaction score
hey all my first time on here!!! ive just got a 2003 a4 190t quattro s line,now ive just found that the engine code on the head is amb (think as cant remember) anyhow it says on the cam cover in tipex 163 bhp a4 quattro!! new engine fitted!! it should have the bex code,now will this engine still produce 190 bhp as its the ecu that controls it or have i got a shed? please help as its doing my head in!! thanks

This is the B6 section fella!!!!

That sounds like they replaced the original 1.8T 190 BHP engine with the lesser 163PS 1.8T variant.
Not sure what differences there are but that is not a good sign if u bought a 1.8T s-line 190??

My A4 avant is a limited edition (non s-line, non quattro) 1.8T 163PS.

I would not have bought it knowing that myself unless it was given a huge discount ?

I imagine its still running the 190sline slightly larger turbo and management etc so will be a bit of an odd one power output wise. Im not sure what if any the internal differences were. If its running well i wouldn't panic too much about it, if its from a dealer i would consider sending it back though to save your self any potential headache.

A 190PS should have a BEX code on the engine, if it reads something else then it will not produce the same output without some tinkering eg remap. Check to see if you have intercoolers at both corners for starters.
The BEX engine is the same 1.8 engine but it has some strengthened internal components, dual intercoolers as well as bigger injectors and maybe some other things that I cant remember right now.
What does the log book say? Also what month in 2003 is it? and is it a proper S-Line?

Last edited:
hi and thanks for the replies!! its 190 on the logbook and should be the bex code but its a amb,ive spoken to a few people and the engines are the same its just the turbo,twin intercoolers and ecu that make the difference!! ive checked my turbo and injectors and they are the right ones,mine allso has twin intercoolers ans a stupid loud dumpvalve!! i thought mine was a s-line but its the sport!!