a4 central locking pump faulty

Mike B

Reaction score
pump runs but v noisy noair blow or suck does anyone agree that it is u/s ? if so can it be repaired or replaced and do tehe keys need recoding for the replacement ? 1999 avant 1.8 se part no8DO 862 257 E

If the pump still runs, but doesnt create vacuum/pressure, it is most probable that the graphite impeller has shattered.

This normally happens if there is a slight leak in one of the pipes, either at the front doors, the connector behind the drivers seat, or at the pump.

The pump has to work overtime to attain the pressure/vacuum, and eventually becomes damaged.

You can swap the pump for any with a similar part number and a suffix greater than 'A' (which doesnt have RF interface).

Depending on where the pump is from you may or may not have to reset the central locking 'softcode' number.

I am using a 'G' suffix pump from an A3 in my A4, and it did change the code number after fitting the replacement pump.

From the Rosstech site:

35-Central Locks: -- KWP-1281
VAG-COM Works fine (note: pre-'97 A4's may not have this module).

Recode locking options

[Select]
[35 - Cent. Locks]
[Recode - 07]
Enter the coding below
[Do It!]

Write down the existing coding for future reference.

A4 pre-1998 with Delta radio and anti-theft system
Standard Coding: 03468

A4 pre-1998 with Delta radio, anti-theft system and keyless entry
Standard Coding: 12172

A4 1998+ with Concert/Symphony radio and anti-theft system
Standard Coding: 03340

S4, A4 1998+ with Concert/Symphony radio, anti-theft system and keyless entry
Standard Coding: 16140

Add the following options to your coding number:

+64 Windows up, sunroof close, and windows down with remote.
-04 One touch unlock of all 4 doors and trunk
-1024 Remove horn honk when arming
+32 Auto lock/unlock of doors (Doors lock at 15 mph and unlock when key is removed)

So, if you want to have a 1999 A4 with Concert radio and anti-theft system and keyless entry, and you want to add window control with the remote along with auto-lock, then:
add 03340+64+32= 03436

You can also buy a cheap audi 80 etc pump on ebay and swap over then actual motor/pump assembly into your existing casing, they are virtually identical.

If your pump was not working for lmore than 4 or 5 seconds before the problem occured, it could also be a tube disconnected inside the pump.

Although physically similar the twin outlet '8DO' and '8LO' types have a slightly different signal/pinout, and are not compatible with each other.

sounds spot on i had some door damage 2 months ago they may have damaged a pipe when rebuilding the door i may have to check this out .The pump did seem to go dead and get hot before it became noisy soperhaps its something in the pump wear and tear ?investigation needed!Thanks again

i have found someone who repairs the pumps by replacing the impeller using aunit from amerc or vw which are stronger this avoids complications recoding etc .charged £110 so alot cheaper too and came to me in soton from reading .seems to be abusy man .there seems to be plenty of pressure both ways now and i am thinking it was wear and tear not aleak but i will still check out the door later

Hi, do you have the contact details of the guy you used in reading to repair your pump, thanks

hi all i hve a 1999 t reg s4 avant b5 that i have had the same problem with the central locking I found that he graphite impella had shattered.
i went the local scrap yard and got another motor and replaced it after reading the posts about the pcb and re programming the keys etc and re use the o/e pcb thus not having to recode the keys etc or so i thought

having re-fitted the unit after about 2 hrs of it being off the car my key fobs don't work and i can't seem to recode them using the 2 key method's i've found to date ( the central locking works on the door locks and the alarm arms on locking the car on the door lock but nothing hqappens when i use the keyfob I.E. the remote central locking fob)
anyone help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crying::crying::crying::sadlike::sadlike::sadlike::sadlike::think::think::think::think:

Last edited:
ok latest update it looks as though the pcb in my central locking pump has gone pete tong as i plugged my m8's pump into my car and used his key fob and it all worked as it should i've also checked that my remote's are working as they should with a fob checker that the AA have so looks like myines knackered anyone know if i can re code my keys to a new pcb ????????