A4 CABRIOLET 2.4 PETROL/ MANUAL

Steve B5 Biker

Reaction score
Hi I'm contemplating returning to the Audi family, alas for my sins i've been driving vw for last couple of years and ive been driving dirty dervs recently too lol...
Just wondering are there any issues or faults I should be looking out for ?
Are the roofs good ? as i've never had a rag top either..

Thanks in advance of any replies

Steve...

Roof is great but look for glass coming away from fabric on rear window etc. make sure all the electrics work, make sure the roof reset key is inside the fuse box. Check cam belt last replace date.

I love my cab even though I'm currently battling with rear window issues.

The 2.4 isn't quick but it's nice to drive. Bit thirsty, I get 24 mpg on my 20 mile commute. More on longer trips.

Get heated seats if you can, fab in the winter with leather.

Roof is great but look for glass coming away from fabric on rear window etc. make sure all the electrics work, make sure the roof reset key is inside the fuse box. Check cam belt last replace date.

I love my cab even though I'm currently battling with rear window issues.

The 2.4 isn't quick but it's nice to drive. Bit thirsty, I get 24 mpg on my 20 mile commute. More on longer trips.

Get heated seats if you can, fab in the winter with leather.

Hi cabbyfan..
Thanks for the reply, ive got one for sale local to me at an independent garage, it looks very nice on website its got a facelift front from a b7 or b8 unsure, but alarm bells are ringing in my head,its too CHEAP !!.... its either a accident damaged car or something else is wrong. I'm intending viewing it over next couple of days i'll keep u posted.
Steve..

Hi cabbyfan..
Thanks for the reply, ive got one for sale local to me at an independent garage, it looks very nice on website its got a facelift front from a b7 or b8 unsure, but alarm bells are ringing in my head,its too CHEAP !!.... its either a accident damaged car or something else is wrong. I'm intending viewing it over next couple of days i'll keep u posted.
Steve..

These 2.4 v6's do seem to go pretty cheap, I've got one and think I got a good deal privately.

I joined the forum after my purchase and a lot of users seem to regard the 2.4 as a pointless engine as its a heavier block than the 2.8/3.0 and has less power but basically the same mpg figures.

I'm more than happy with mine (it's not a cab) as stated its not a quick car but it's got enough poke and torque to have a bit of fun in and the sound is great!!

Do all the usual checks like hpi and car reg checks and go through all paperwork if there is any!!

Good luck!!

Hi Steve,

Like you, Ive never had a rag top until now.

Ive got a 2005 Cabrio 1.8T quattro and am very happy with it. (touch wood) All around great looking car, well built as it doesnt feel like a tin can and decent with its poke if I want to put my foot down. The roof is something I would probably master so that you know each indivdual step in case anything goes wrong as the roofs appear to be prone to an issue or 2 in its life time.

Having said that..love the cabrios and dont think you will look back upon purchasing one.

...oh and..you are forgiven haha

Just remember the cambelt is stupidly expensive to replace on the V6 - about £700 to £800 inc vat at a main dealer, about £500 at an indy. Make sure they do the water pump and the thermostat at the same time as they are a ****** to get to.

My roof glass bond has failed so at the moment I am looking at a new skin sadly. They fail after a few years so on older cabs have a very good look around the rear window.