a4 b8 brake fluid reservoir air leak

bonifacy87

Reaction score
Hi. Just notice to night when I've stopped at work. I've got like an air leak noise coming from brake fluid reservoir. Brake pedal seems to OK. Haven't noticed any changes in braking behaviour. Has anyone any idea? I don't really want to mess with brake system myself. Does anyone in High Wycombe or Slough knows someone who could get this sorted for me before AITP. Thanks

It's not likely to be an air leak from the brake resevoir as there is no air pressure in there,
Could be a vacuum leak as the servo is under the brake fluid reservoir, check the thick black plastic pipe that goes from the vacuum pump through the firewall to the servo. Is it only when the engine is running ? . A piece of small bore pipe is really handy for locating vacuum / pressure leaks soemthing like 6mm is good, put the one end in your ear then use the other to "sniff" for the leak.
If you had the air con on then that makes a noise when the engine is stopped as pressure equalises in the system.

Karl.

Reactions: bonifacy87
Thanks for quick answer. It's only when the engine is working. It seems to be coming from the joint where the pipe connects to reservoir. I'll have a better look after work when the sun comes out.

Went to the garage that Scotty76 mentioned. They've scared me a little bit by telling me that it might be a leaking servo. Car's booked in for tomorrow to do some kind of smoke test.

Went to the garage that Scotty76 mentioned. They've scared me a little bit by telling me that it might be a leaking servo. Car's booked in for tomorrow to do some kind of smoke test.
Ooops sorry about that. :)

Hope it's not a servo. It might be just a pipe. I'm not a mechanic but logically thinking if it would be a servo I'd feel some difference in brake pedal. Anyway fingers crossed is just a pipe.