A4 B8 3.0 TDI - More Power

ion2211

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First time poster here.

I'm the owner of a 2008 A4 3.0 TDI

The car has already been remapped to an estimated ~290BHP & ~600nm Torque, although this has not been confirmed on a rolling road.

Obviously a remap is the best bang for your buck type of power upgrade, but I am wondering what other upgrades I should be considering if I wanted to get the car up to around the 350BHP mark?

To be quite honest , I have gotten used to the power and the car doesn't feel all that fast to me anymore :p now I want MORE :)

Would love to hear about what type of performance upgrades you guys have or would recommend.

Thanks

Hi, A hybrid turbo and removal of the DPF / cat will get you a good increase in power along with torque. Although my car made around 315 bhp / 720 Nm on the standard turbo with a DPF delete and intercooler upgrade.
Is the car manual or auto?. I am running mine at 380bhp 750Nm now and it's running fine. The clutch seems to cope fine with the torque, had it running 800Nm when we were mapping it but as it's a daily and I want it reliable dialled it back a bit.
Bobby Singh is running over 900Nm on his auto. I am currently repopulating all the photo's on my build thread ATM due to Photobucket playing silly buggers.
Where abouts are you in the country ?

Reactions: V6_Man
Thanks for your reply.

I was actually considering a DPF delete but decided I would wait until it starts acting up as I didnt want to waste a perfectly good DPF.

Also wasnt sure whether removing thr DPF would actually give it more power or just improve the spool/response.

Sorry, should have stated that mine is a Manual.

Ideally I wouldnt like to replace the Turbo so I was thinking DPF and EGR removal, upgraded intercooler and another Remap?

I will definitely check out your build.

I'm based in Dublin, Ireland.

Thanks

Manual can take plenty abuse it seems- I've seen upto 900nm on stock clutch.
I tested a hybrid recently @426hp but I would say its a 400hp turbo.
Soon I will have a play with a bigger hybrid which should be more towards 450hp (but we'll see)

If you have the budget go for a wagner intercooler.
Also you could get abit more your current tune to around 320hp while keeping your dpf just means you'll hit egt protection sooner.

Being a 2008 I'm assuming its a CAPA engine with a cp1 fuel pump.

Yes, mine is the CAPA engine.

I have looked at both of your build threads. They are absolutely amazing! ... pity about the photobucket issue.

bobby singh, I had actually come across you're build thread previously (when the photos were working) and I was blown away by it.

My question is how were able to achieve 313hp & 650nm with just a remap and EGR removal? .. Does EGR Removal free up more power?

@desertstorm, when you say you made 315 bhp & 720nm on the standard turbo with DPF Delete and upgraded intercooler - does that include a remap or was the power increase simply obtain by upgrading the hardware?

What do you guys think a DPF delete + EGR Delete + intercooler upgrage + Remap would yield?

I can tune to them to 320hp 720nm with dpf on and map sensor change.
Removing dpf just means you can put in a little more fuel and stay wot longer before egt protection kicks in

Reactions: ion2211
Interesting.

What exactly is egt protection and what happens when it "kicks in"

I think Id be happy enough with 320BHP and 700nm :)

EGT protection on a standard car is when the ECU measures exhaust temperatures above 850 degrees C on the pre turbo EGT sensor. The VNT mechanism in the turbo is specified by Garret to be capable of 850 degrees maximum continuous, So Audi limit it by reducing the fuelling. It's actually quite a severe fuel cut as well so you certainly notice it when it does it.

Reactions: Misikee
Chop the exhaust back boxes off or perform straight through surgery , worth 20 bhp and 30 ftlb .

Karl the egt protection can be calibrated to make a more linear torq reduction.

Gaz - I've seen the dyno experiment. But the stock exhaust flows really well. Block exhaust can cause higher emp and reduce power. But logging deltap can highlight any exhaust issues.

Reactions: V6_Man
Not vac converted
Also, do some research alot of these hybrids use a AMG turbine which is old and heavy.
Some have reported issues with oil leaking (through the turbine seals) when installed on a 3.0

Reactions: raffshore
Last Year i install this turbo to my BMK.

http://www.turbo-upgrade.com/produse/30tdi-asb-bkn-bks-bmk-bng-stage-1/75/

The oil leaked througj the seals to the exhaust. 20km / 50ml oil in the turbo hot side = lot of smoke

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6va5dnet7x73vt/IMG-1468328801560-V.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kglf1mrvvwfq2f4/IMG_20160711_113713.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/imcthv33ctl2tb4/IMG_20160712_152910.jpg?dl=0

Not just the 2260 hybrid suffer from oil leaking problems

Az én iPhone készülékemről küldve a Tapatalk segítségével

That's exactly why I want to stay away from changing turbos. I dont want to open up a can or worms.

@bobby singh, you said you can get 320bhp with just a stage 1 remap and a MAP sensor change?

Usually stage 1 remaps yield 290-300bhp (which is what Im assuming my car is pushing out)

How can a MAP sensor be worth another +20/30BHP?

I have an a6 59 reg with DPF and cat gutted remapped and its made 329bhp and 500ftlbs no map sensor and standard intercoolers and intake. My tuner say that it we can add more fuel in yet for a little more!
[photo=medium]8570[/photo]
[photo=medium]8571[/photo]

Last edited:
Hello guys I know this is off topic from the posts subject but I tries to start a post for some help and had no replies lol. Im looking to upgrade to a 3.0tdi b8 and found one in my price range with all the toys sat nave B&O mmi leather reverse sensors heated seats etc. The only thing thats putting me off is mileage its 155 thou on 09 but has full history whats your thoughts plz.

Reactions: Banger 115
That's exactly why I want to stay away from changing turbos. I dont want to open up a can or worms.

@bobby singh, you said you can get 320bhp with just a stage 1 remap and a MAP sensor change?

Usually stage 1 remaps yield 290-300bhp (which is what Im assuming my car is pushing out)

How can a MAP sensor be worth another +20/30BHP?

Depends on the tuning to be honest I've seen a lot of poor work and its getting worse.
Map sensor change is to push higher torq figures nothing to do with hp at higher rpm (with stock turbo)

I have an a6 59 reg with DPF and cat gutted remapped and its made 329bhp and 500ftlbs no map sensor and standard intercoolers and intake. My tuner say that it we can add more fuel in yet for a little more!
[photo=medium]8570[/photo]
[photo=medium]8571[/photo]

I think these are just dyno/operator differences. For example I tuned a A6 C7 (which run a 2260vzk) with dpf off and normally they make 320hp with the fuel I use. But the guy ran it on a dyno that he uses and it made 335hp

Hello guys I know this is off topic from the posts subject but I tries to start a post for some help and had no replies lol. Im looking to upgrade to a 3.0tdi b8 and found one in my price range with all the toys sat nave B&O mmi leather reverse sensors heated seats etc. The only thing thats putting me off is mileage its 155 thou on 09 but has full history whats your thoughts plz.

High miles but Im sure engine and box will be fine. But suspension and mounts might need changing.

Depends on the tuning to be honest I've seen a lot of poor work and its getting worse.
Map sensor change is to push higher torq figures nothing to do with hp at higher rpm (with stock turbo)

Interesting.

Do you remap on a Dyno or stationary through OBD?

Also where are you based out of curisity?

Removing dpf just means you can put in a little more fuel and stay wot longer before egt protection kicks in

Hi Bobby!

The tuners here in Norway only get 300hp and 600nm, what is making the last 120nm??

Would a upgraded intercooler increase BHP/NM any further?

So I had my car on a Dyno today and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was putting out more than what I thought! :)

(Figures are actually quite similar to yours @bobby singh when you had a stage 1)

312 Bhp & 660 Nm (Stage 1 remap with DPF still on)

D8_CEFA7_F-1_DF8-4_CB7-8492-5_FCB43_E5_AD30.jpg

Reactions: L80EWY and barkclark
Hi ICON2211, I have already built a highly modified A5 3.0tdi and I live in Dublin, Ireland. Drop me a message if you want some info on modifying these cars. Cheers Marc

Reactions: Charlieward92 and Misikee
Hi, A hybrid turbo and removal of the DPF / cat will get you a good increase in power along with torque. Although my car made around 315 bhp / 720 Nm on the standard turbo with a DPF delete and intercooler upgrade.
Is the car manual or auto?. I am running mine at 380bhp 750Nm now and it's running fine. The clutch seems to cope fine with the torque, had it running 800Nm when we were mapping it but as it's a daily and I want it reliable dialled it back a bit.
Bobby Singh is running over 900Nm on his auto. I am currently repopulating all the photo's on my build thread ATM due to Photobucket playing silly buggers.
Where abouts are you in the country ?
What turbo was you running at the time of having 380bhp/750nm please?

The turbo is a Hybrid version of the standard 2260. With a different turbine and a larger compressor wheel. There are better Turbo's available these days that will do the same or slightly better job.