A4 B7 Avant S-Line Checks

empty_vessel

Reaction score
Hi guys thanks for all the really useful info on the forum.

I'm looking into getting my first Audi soon and have started to circle in on an A4 Avant quattro. I've read through the B7 forum and found the major issues covered in their own separate threads but was wondering if there were a decent list of checks to do when I go to look at the car?

From browsing the forum (and some of the other forums) it looks like I need to check whether the injectors have been done and to see whether it is the later gear driven oil pump, but both of these will probably need me to ring up the dealer to check what work has been done as I doubt the dealer will want me ripping the engine to pieces to check part numbers!

Visually and listening for odd noises is there anything else major to worry about?

Speaking to Audi UK tomorrow about whether a pre-emptive injector change might be possible if I buy the car I'm interested in, I'm going to be away for a while so don't want the Mrs going into a flat spin over it if they were to fail while I'm not about!

Thanks for any help in advance.

Chances are the injectors won't have been done, but I wouldn't let that worry you. Audi appear to be replacing injectors FOC at the moment although there's no official recall and they'll deny there's a problem. Best approach seems to be to contact Audi UK customer services citing safety concerns (when an injector on the 170 fails the engine shuts down immediately, which obviously makes for an interesting experience).

The pump should be the later gear driven version, AFAIK. Not sure what year the change was made - what year is the car you're looking at?

Other checks... just the usual stuff. FSH etc. I'm a great believer in looking at the little stuff to judge how a car's been looked after - have the wheels been badly kerbed? Are the tyres the same all round and a premium brand? Any significant wear or damage to the interior? If it's from a big dealer who habitually blows over alloys to hide damage etc. it's a bit harder to see these things, but it pays to have a close look.

BTW, I've had my Avant quattro 170 S-line SE for a couple of months and I love it! Good luck!

Thanks for that, it's a 57 plate (2008) so pretty much last few before they switched to the B8, drove a 140 TDI A4 B8 at the local Audi dealers and loved it but £33K is a bit steep for the quattro 2L TDI with the trim level on it!I'm going to speak to Audi UK today and see what they say about the car, I've got the number of the dealer who has done all the servicing too so I'll speak to them and see if it's had any other work done to it.The car I'm looking at has the Alcantara trim on the steering wheel, gear stick and handbrake lever, is there much you can do with these if they get damaged or dirty or is it just re-trim?Thanks.

The injector thing is tricky. The bill's being picked up by Audi UK but they appear to be very wary of admitting any kind of fault or liability and the safety line appears to be the only one they'll respond to. Whether or not they'd be willing to swap out injectors on a forecourt car prior to sale I don't know, but I have my doubts. Still, like I said, I wouldn't let that put you off because it'd be fixable as soon as you bought the car anyway.

Mine's got the Alcantara trim too. Special cleaning stuff is available (clicky). My steering wheel's looking a bit 'used', but I've decided I quite like the lived-in look :D

For your Alcantara use Lemon Juice and hot water with a toothbrush, let it dry and then do it again. This worked a treat on my steering wheel which now looks like Alcantara again and not dirty leather!