1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 (B6) CAB 3.0 v6 - Sluggishness and part throttle surge

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by ringo_the_audio, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ringo_the_audio

ringo_the_audio New Member

[Apr 9, 2010]
    Hello all.

Please forgive me if this has been covered and solved before. I've searched the threads but I can't see a 'solved' answer to my slight problem.

I own a manual 2003 Audi A4 3.0 V6 Cabriolet (B6). I am having some strange things happening when I accelerate.

Be it warm or cold, I get a very slight hesitation/sluggishness when I set off as I press the peddle down, this happens only occasionally. It starts off like it's driving through a strong wind but it does not feel lumpy of juddery. It lasts thorugh to about 3500 rpm and no matter how much juice I give it the sluggishness continues until after a few seconds when the engine suddenly picks up and the car roars off.

The 'surge' part to this threads title is this. When I'm crusing and I press the accelerator 1/3rd - 1/2 way down the car seems to pick up with more acceleration in this position than at WOT.

This is my first Audi, it's a lovely car but this is getting a little annoying.

No engine lights what so ever. It's also had a recent big service at Audi that included the cam belt.

It was doing it before it went in, but I totally forgot to ask them about it.

The previous owner had a coil pack go on him and he gave me a spare one just in case. I thought that if a coil pack was failing the engine lamp would come on.

I run it on 97RON with occasional REDEX shots. It's done 58k.

I called Audi parts yesterday but they would not let me speak to a technician. I suggested a coil pack and they agreed it might be as the previous owner had a pack go on him, so he replaced it with a Europarts pack - he also left me a spare. Audi service told me that it does not sound like a coil pack...! 'Confused you will be'

They also told me it would cost me £50 for them to diagnose it... :faint: I might buy a BMW again, they never charged for diognosis.

The coil packs are the red topped ones.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks!
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Apr 9, 2010]
  4. ringo_the_audio

ringo_the_audio New Member

[Apr 9, 2010]
    Hello, many thanks for your reply. I'll take a look at that, many thanks... :)

It would be great to know if anyone has had any of these symptoms though...
  5. Woorlord

Woorlord shifting to Hyperspace... . VCDS Map User

[Apr 10, 2010]
    Get a diagnostic scan - this should show up anything obvious. Perhaps a fellow forum member can help out - where are you based? Getting your own VAG-COM cable soon pays for itself - even the expensive fully licensed one from Ross-Tech! Your other suggestion, Beamer vs Audi......... I have both and the Audi wins easily I'm afraid for me.
  6. Pazz

Pazz New Member

[Mar 22, 2011]
    Hi,

Did you find a resolution to this problem?

Cheers.
  7. Leea4tdi

Leea4tdi Member

[Mar 22, 2011]
    Don't the 3.0 v6 have issues with carbon buildup on the intake valves? i'm sure there's lenty of threads on this and the sluggishness was caused due to that. It's a do-able job to clean them without stripping the heads off, you only need to remove the intake manifold on the top.
  8. Iyole

Iyole N/A Rools

[Mar 22, 2011]
    My thought xactly...... Audi RSA spent 8 months trying to resolve a similar issue on my Cab only to find it was a valve in the intake manifold that had
    carboned up. There is a sensor that uses this information to adjust air/fuel etc. Audi replaced just about every related electrical sensor on Cab before
    ending up stripping and cleaning the Intake Manifold (7 Hrs Labour) No Parts.... Sorted [​IMG]
  9. Cabbyfan

Cabbyfan Member

[Mar 22, 2011]
    Does the carbon buildup affect 2.4s to ?
  10. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 23, 2011]
    As mentioned the first step to get to the bottom of anything like this is a diagnostic scan, anything else is just like plucking ideas out of the sky in honesty!

Either bite the bullet and buy a cable yourself, of pay for a scan. I'm sure most garages would knock the cost of that of any repair work.