A4 B6 1.8T Quattro engine fail?

Andyb5tdi

B5 1.9TDi AFN
Reaction score
Hi guys, is this a common problem? Are these good engines to tune?

Also what differences are there on the S-line?

The car is a 2004 saloon

Many thanks

Andy

Bullet proof if serviced correctly, & easy to tune. S-line's share the same engines.
Blocked oil pick up strainer is probably the most common cause of VAG 1.8T engine failure.

Reactions: Andyb5tdi
I'm by no means the most knowledgable on the 1.8t front but from what I've seen they're unbelievably reliable and a great car to tune whether your going for just a map, bigger turbo (k04 comes to mind) or more, pretty much a tried and tested tuner loving platform.

S-line is just a trim option (from memory it's gearknob, steering wheel, wheels, door blades, front bumper, rear bumper and spoiler but I could be wrong).

Quite like your B5 £60 tdi thread by the way :happy:

Last edited:
Thank you guys, been offered it very cheap so either I'll find another engine for it or if I can rebuild the one that's in there, but I fear it may have a hole in the block lol.

Thanks Jake, the B5 is doing well and is great fun to drive so it will be staying if the B6 arrives shortly :)

Thank you guys, been offered it very cheap so either I'll find another engine for it or if I can rebuild the one that's in there, but I fear it may have a hole in the block lol.

Thanks Jake, the B5 is doing well and is great fun to drive so it will be staying if the B6 arrives shortly :)

Do you have the car yet? The reason I ask is I have an ARY (from 53 TT) that had a holed sump at 83,000 miles. A crank polish and new shells would fix it, any good to you?

Hi Calum, funny you ask, just got back from paying for it and collecting it tomorrow. Is it the whole engine you have and how much are you after?

Hi Calum, funny you ask, just got back from paying for it and collecting it tomorrow. Is it the whole engine you have and how much are you after?

Just the bottom end I have, thing is it would need to be delivered I'm up in Scotland, make an offer. I would've liked to rebuild it but it's not gonna happen, just taking up space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£80 takes it as I realise courier would be a few quid, postcode for collection is KA7 2PD if you're interested?

Thanks mate, can I let you know asap, I've just put a thread up here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/andys-b6-1-8t-quattro-s-line-project.334104/

Yeah that's fine I'm in no hurry to shift it. Looks like con rod to me as well. Looks like it's broken off at the small end (piston) probably wrecked the bore. Interesting to see it picked the sump and not the block to exit from, low speed failure maybe. Anything you need to know regarding low oil pressure issues just ask, I've dealt with two of them in the past.

Thank you bud, yep I was expecting a big hole in the block lol. Is there any good guides around for power increases for the 1.8t's? May be worth seeing what can be done if it's apart anyway

Thank you bud, yep I was expecting a big hole in the block lol. Is there any good guides around for power increases for the 1.8t's? May be worth seeing what can be done if it's apart anyway
If you're after big power then buy some decent con rods, then you can upgrade the intercooler, the exhaust, injectors, bigger turbo then remap it. It's one of the most tuneable engines there is, plenty of big power builds on the net.
You can easily remap it to 225hp though and no other mods required.

Awesome, thankyou :) If I do a full build rods will deffo be on the list. What power are the pistons good for? Can the block be bored/ stroked to increase the cc?

Yep, stock rebuild, K04-15, remap, done. Enjoy.

Awesome, what power would this set up give?

What power are the stock rods/ pistons good for?

Realistically I'd be chuffed with 300-350 and good drivability.

How does the Quattro system handle bigger power? I'm guessing it would handle 350 bhp with it's eyes closed?

What tool is it mate? I don't even have a Haynes manual for it yet :readit:

There will definitely be lots of pictures :camera::rock:

Oh yes lol, I'll use the forum. I'd love to do a WordPress blog as well but WordPress eludes me atm lol