1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 B5 Avant rear wiring again....

JayB5UK Nov 12, 2007

1. JayB5UK

JayB5UK Member

Hi, finally got some keys to remove my Symphony unit so I can see if the rear amp is unplugged.

Which side do the wires go and what am I looking for - are they like normal RCA's or is it a multi plug like an ISO block?

2. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Moderator

It's mini ISO 20 pin plug - long and thin, slots in the top connector on the back of the HU. The multicoloured plug shown below, but yours will be solid black.
    [​IMG]

3. JayB5UK

JayB5UK Member

Cheers AndyMac, I will look tonight then, hopefully I can pull the HU out without wrecking things! Fingers in the tape slot I expect..

Shame it's gonna be dark after work!

4. AndyMac

I'd remove the glovebox and push from behind

5. JayB5UK

JayB5UK Member

Got it out without any trouble thankfully, but unfortunately it's not as easy as I hoped, everything is plugged in where it should be. ****!

Any ideas where to go now? Is there a fuse for it, or should I go hunting behind the rear boot panels - if so how do they come off?

Sorry to bombard with questions but you know your stuff, I can see from the amount of posts you've put up on ICE.

6. JayB5UK

JayB5UK Member

BUMP

Oh, and God them keys and the removal of them from the HU are a bit of a biatch. Worse than getting the HU out!

7. AndyMac

You first need to check that the rear amp is getting both a permanent live and a remote on live (on/off with the HU)

8. JayB5UK

JayB5UK Member

OK, when I get the chance and figure how to get to the wiring at the amp I will test it.

9. JayB5UK

JayB5UK Member

My mate came round earlier and used his PDA to do a scan of the car, using VAG-check, similra to VAG-COM really.
    Ran a diagnostic on the stereo system and for a minute or so the rear sub and one rear speaker worked, the left one. Then it went off again.
    I know it is getting power because when he sat in the back he heard a relay going for it on and off.
    I am thinking that maybe one of the door speakers has been bodged and is shorting out, causing it all to turn off possibly?