A4 B5 auto box issues

eoeumc

Reaction score
Website
www.eoeumc.co.uk
Hi there folks :)

I have a 95 A4 2.6se auto and the gearbox started playing up today :(
When you slow down to a stop and as it changes in to 1st gear it goes in with such a force (as if your clutch was going in a manual and you had to ram it in :eyebrows:) and the car tries to jump forward. Also when your cruising at a sensible speed in top gear and then put your foot on accelerator very lightly and then take it off its as if your changing down and the car slows down, but you haven't put your foot down enough to warrent a gear change up in the first place.

Hope its not confusing and I am presuming its the worse scenario of needing another box :(

Any help is greatly appreciated :anbet:

What's the mileage ? Any record of the gearbox oil beeing ever replaced ? I would start by buying 4-5 L of GENUINE VAG ATF fluid and a strayner (box oil filter to you and me!) and have a good independent change-it for you- someone who knows what they are doing as the filling procedur is rather tricky and require the use of fully registered VCDS... Where abouts are you ? I could help if close to N. London... Regards, Chris- 077 899 12128.

Hi Chris :)

The mileage is 135,000 and as for oil change it says in service book that an oil change service was done at 109,304 miles.
I am up in Cambridgeshire so not close to you :( But thanks for the very helpful offer, shame.
I will have to look in to the oil then. I don't use the car that mush tbh and only got it back in late December 2010.

Now I'm not sure if this would be the fault with the learching forward from 2nd to 1st gear, but when I got home today (only second day the gears were playing up) and I pulled up on my drive, I put it in to nuetral and the revs were up to 1,500rpm. Its normally around 800rpm.
Would this be the problem with regards to the gears? If so, what could be making the revs high? ie sticky accelerator etc. And what could be done to fix it?

Thanks peeps :eyebrows: