A4 B5 2.5tdi gauges not working

Shaun2017

Reaction score
Hey guys, so im completely new to forums etc but hoping to meet people on here and make some new friends etc etc.

My main question is on my audi the temp gauge never moves and neither does the oil sensor. Ive changed the temp sensor though be it a euros one......and im getting the timing belt done shortly so hoping the guy will change the oil sensor as well.

Is there anything else that would effect the coolant temp gauge?

Thermostat is usually the culprit.

They stick open and the engine never heats up.

Dont bother changing the oil sensor, just stick a new stat in when hes doing the timing belt.

You can view live temperature data on the climate control unit. To do this press recirc and up arrow together. Display changes to 1C, then use temp +/- buttons to make it say 49c then press recirc again, display will change to read the engine temperature.

You'll probably find it simply never gets above 60c and thus never registers on the guage.

Thanks very much for the response. Wouldnt that only fix the water temp gauge and not effect the oil temp gauge.

the engine has a water to oil heat exchanger. If the coolant isnt warming up, it'll over cool the oil as well.

Oh i see..thanks very much, just driven it to a friends and it settled at about 54 degrees.