A4 Avant - Tailgate closure problems :(

Buck

Reaction score
Hi All

Recently my tailgate has started playing up

Basically when I pull it down to close it seems to bounce off the latch rather than closing fully etc.

I have checked that there are no items that are blocking the locking area and also have greased the latch to see if it was a case of it just needing lubing but...still doesn't seem to work

More frustrating is that it is sooo inconsistent - can be fine for a few days then wham I'm taking 4 or 5 attempts to close it before it fully catches (usually in the rain too:()

Any ideas as to what I try next or what might be causing this please?

TIA

Mine does the same, its pretty rare but does happen. It doesnt do it enough at the moment for me to even think about looking at it.

My A6 recently had exactly the same problem, except it just completely stopped working, none of this try 4 times and its ok. The mechanism inside the hatch was thoroughly cleaned and lubed at the last service and the problem has gone away. I had thought it was the latch assembly and like you had cleaned it all up but the problem was actually the bits hidden inside the hatch.

Hmmmm

Might have to take the tailgate trim off - I had a look before and know there are a few screws near the pull down handles then you just pull to unclip the bottom part but any ideas/experience on how it is fastened near the rear glass - don't want to pull it incase something snaps :(

Mine started doing this too, really annoyed me and ended up trying to close it more and more firmly, which had a complete adverse affect. Try just letting it drop gently with a very slight push when it's about elbow level. It's worked every time since now - touch wood!

I'll try that Marc

Must admit I did slam it once and I snapped the thumb screws that hold in the warning triangle:blush:

could be the screws holding the metal loop on the bottom of door itself have loosened and the loop isnt always sitting straight when it tries to enter the latch?

Yeah, mine does this too when it wants (usually when raining or baby sleeping) although something rattles inside the hatch-loose metal sound ? does anyone know how easy it is to strip down and investigate ?

that'll be the strainer plate behind the loop thats rattling mate, indicating the screws are indeed loose. The rear trim isnt that hard to remove I imagine like most cars just look round for capped off screw points and gently remove all of them and the bits will be all visible, tho you should be able to tighten them without dismantling the trim, just look up into the door lock part on the tailgate and you should see the torx screws, tighten them then adjust the loop with pliers or mole grips then when its closing properly, tighten them fully :)

also after time if loosened up from constant open/shut/slam etc the bottom loop/plate can move slightly out of alignment, so try adjusting the loop up/down if possible & see if it closes better in certain positions, I cant recall from my S4 if it was adjustable, should be given how bad the lines of the cars are these days, gaps around bodywork seem to change from car to car.

as already mentioned a good clean of the actual lock mechanism is another one given how much dirt can accumulate after time from the rear area & as its a B6 its obviously few years old now so wouldnt do any harm & could save u few bucks to