A4 Avant Quattro - real world mpg?

Macduff

Reaction score
Hi folks

I've been given an A4 Avant 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro as a courtesy car while ours is in for some work. On a 32 mile trip with some stop start traffic and twisty country roads it only managed 32mpg by the DIS which is probably about 29mpg in the real world. Combined mpg for this is supposed to be 42mpg.

Is this really what I could expect from this car? Seems a tad thirsty although I appreciate Quattro and being the 170 will have something to do with it.

We're thinking about changing our car next year and this model was on our shopping list. However our annual mileage is now only around 10k so I'm also thinking about a 2.0TFSI Quattro. However combined mpg for that is only 32mpg so could I really only expect low 20s if I owned this car?

Our current 1.9 130 Sport saloon has a combined figure of almost 48 but we rarely see more than 42.

BTW, it is a superb car. I can't believe the difference Quattro makes.

TIA
Dave

Macduff said:
However our annual mileage is now only around 10k so I'm also thinking about a 2.0TFSI Quattro. However combined mpg for that is only 32mpg so could I really only expect low 20s if I owned this car?

24mpg average on my DIS after 4,000 miles in the 2.0TFSI Quattro Special Edition. Mainly shorter journeys less than 50 miles in more built-up areas. Much less and I might as well have bought the S4 I was going to get.

mjsewell said:
24mpg average on my DIS after 4,000 miles in the 2.0TFSI Quattro Special Edition. Mainly shorter journeys less than 50 miles in more built-up areas. Much less and I might as well have bought the S4 I was going to get.

So that's maybe 22mpg in the real world :-O

This week I drove 250 miles on 2 consecutive days mainly on motorways. I was not hanging about. DIS 43.2mpg, my own calculation brim to brim was 41.9mpg. Not bad for a 2.0TDi Multitronic.

Penport said:
This week I drove 250 miles on 2 consecutive days mainly on motorways. I was not hanging about. DIS 43.2mpg, my own calculation brim to brim was 41.9mpg. Not bad for a 2.0TDi Multitronic.

I assume that's a 140. Unfortunately they stopped doing the 140 Quattro when the 170 came out. I'd like Quattro as our FWD 130 struggles for grip and now we've moved back to Aberdeenshire Quattro would be more useful.

I can't imagine trying to get decent power down in a FWD 170!