A4 Avant Number plate lights

b00zehound

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of changing the number plate lights on my avant due to the screws being totaly rusted. The passenger side bulb was not working hence why i started this job.
Problem is the blown bulb did not show up on the DIS. I removed the faulty light to find the holder totaly corroded and the bulb was well blown. I have cleaned up the terminals and tried the known working bulb from the other light but no joy. Funny thing is when I took the bulb out the other light it then threw up the bulb blown messgae on the DIS.
I'm of down to maplin later to get a cheap circuit tester to check there is power to the light. Just all seems a bit odd
Any ideas?:keule:

Panic over....getting power to both lights so will have to fiddle with the new bulb holders to ensure connection. One thing is for sure, Audi didnt design the number plate light holders very well. The screws are a very soft metal and are awkward to get at straight with a screwdriver. Im guessing given the life of the bulbs the holders probably need to be changed with every bulb change due to stuck screws. hey ho!
Next job. Change the rear disks...

what size bulbs are they as i wish to change mine for leds.

I went to put LED's in mine yesterday....however it was a bitch to get them undone and I could see through the lense that they looked quite corroded.

Anyway undone one after about 5 mins and found that because of the screw was rusted into place that it snapped the lug that it sits into on the other side! So it won't now stay in place so I had to order myself some new ones for Monday to sort the problem.

I can confirm the LED's do cause the DIS to show the bulb out message. As this is what i fitted.Will look at getting some resistors for mine or just swap back to normal bulbs. Mind you the LEDs do look much cleaner and more modern.
During the course of trying to get the old holders out I noticed the black bar that houses them was very corroded so might try and get that off for a respray next week when I am off and also looking at the rear wiper motor that has never worked:scared2:

You can now buy LED numberplate lights with built in resistor so no wiring needed.

I purchased some from Alltronix. But the owner of the website is away on business until 28th eptember well worth a buy.

See: http://www.alltronix.co.uk

I can confirm the LED's do cause the DIS to show the bulb out message. As this is what i fitted.Will look at getting some resistors for mine or just swap back to normal bulbs. Mind you the LEDs do look much cleaner and more modern.
During the course of trying to get the old holders out I noticed the black bar that houses them was very corroded so might try and get that off for a respray next week when I am off and also looking at the rear wiper motor that has never worked:scared2:

Last edited:
i have some resister for em anyway, perks of being a microelectronics engineer :D just wondering what bulb type it is!!

You can now buy LED numberplate lights with built in resistor so no wiring needed.

I purchased some from Alltronix. But the owner of the website is away on business until 28th eptember well worth a buy.

See: http://www.alltronix.co.uk

I am also after a set of these but that site is down does anyone else know anys sites that sells these with the built in resistor??

I am also after a set of these but that site is down does anyone else know anys sites that sells these with the built in resistor??

seeing as the guy says hes away till the 28th im holding out that they will be back next week sometimes.