1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 Avant B8 Towbar electrics

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)' started by hitachizx, Mar 15, 2012.

1. hitachizx

hitachizx New Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 15, 2012]
    Hi all I am new to this site having returned to Audi ownership after owning a totally unreliable Range Rover L322 for a couple of years. I have recently purchased a late 2008 A4 2.0 tdi SE Avant. I purchased a used Westfalia towbar along with plug and play electrics from fleebay and today tried to fit. The Towbar went on fine but when it came to the electrics I am stumped. My question is do all A4s come with the tow electrics pre wired for plug and play or am I unlucky enough to have a car without it. I know I will have to take the car to Audi so than can tell the car that it has a tow bar fitted but I am stumped on finding the plug. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. VRStu

VRStu Just Looking VCDS Map User

[Mar 15, 2012]
    I think it was only S-Line that is pre wired with the 'red plug' in the boot.

Did you get the electrics from PF Jones?

You don't necessarily have to take it to Audi, if you find someone with VCDS that can do the coding for you - I did my own. There is a thread in here with lots of info.
  3. hitachizx

[Mar 15, 2012]
    The electrics came with the tow bar which is a used one, the guy took it of a 2009. I have just read on the net somewhere that Audi didn't start putting pre wiring in until the 2009 year model. Typical I was hoping to have the functionality that comes with an a pre wired kit. I defiantly don't have a red socket in my boot.
  4. VRStu

[Mar 15, 2012]
  5. VRStu

[Mar 15, 2012]
    If you are a bit handy with electrics you could build the loom to effectively give you tow prep. I assume the kit you have has come with a trailer controller.
  6. hitachizx

[Mar 15, 2012]
    Yes it has the trailer controller, I will take a look in the morning. I am assuming I will remove the multi plug from the loom I had I put the wires in as per the instructions on the wiring instructions. Thanks for your help.
  7. VRStu

[Mar 15, 2012]
    If you were pre wired you would have had the fabled red plug to plug into the trailer control unit and if you had parking sensors you would put a couple of wires into that too as well as fixing a ground to the chassis.

Some background info -

The Red 12 pin connector carries the assignment T12d

T12d/1 - Possibly Not Used
    T12d/2 - 1.00 Black - Terminal 15 Positive in Man Wiring Harness (Derived from Fuse 12 in Fuse Holder F)
    T12d/3 - 0.35 Red/Black - T17e/11 (6-pin coupling station of A-pillar driver side) Brake Light Switch
    T12d/4 - Possibly Not Used
    T12d/5 - Possibly Not Used
    T12d/6 - Possibly Not Used
    T12d/7 - 0.35 Orange/Green - T17f/13 (6-pin coupling station of A-pillar driver side) - CAN Hi
    T12d/8 - 0.35 Orange/Brown - T17f/14 (6-pin coupling station of A-pillar driver side) - CAN Lo
    T12d/9 - 2.50 Red/Brown - Fuse 2 in Fuse Holder F
    T12d/10 - 0.50 Brown - Ground
    T12d/11 - 1.50 Red/Green - Fuse 4 in Fuse Holder F
    T12d/12 - 1.50 Red/Grey - Fuse 3 in Fuse Holder F
  8. Zafi

Zafi Active Member

[Mar 17, 2012]
  9. dave mason

dave mason New Member

[Sep 6, 2014]
    Hi All
    I've got a S Line 2010 Avant & want to add a tow bar.
    I don't want to use the dedication loom, just crimp in the boot. Does anyone know the colours for the Audi lights indicators etc.? I know the colours for the 12N, it's just the Audi colours....
    Hopefully someone will be able to help.... PF Jones don't support this enquiry
    Thanks
    Dave
  10. Zafi

Zafi Active Member

[Sep 6, 2014]
    This was my 2010 SE, not sure if S-line will be different.

My 2013 Sline is different on some wires, use a pin and test lamp!

Left indicator Black/Blue

Right Indicator Grey/White

Brake Black/Green

Fog Light Grey/White from roof

Reverse White/Black

Earth To screw with others

side light wires from the smart relay may not need to be connected depending on if the relay you are using

you'll need to run a wire from the n/s indicator across to the o/s as this is where all the wiring is done