1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 Allroad rear underbody cut

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)' started by jbee3, Jul 26, 2013.

1. jbee3

jbee3 Member

[Jul 26, 2013]
    Hi there - I just got a really nice A4 Allroad but very stupidly didn't inspect the underneath of the car. However when I pulled into a garage yesterday an Audi salesman who was filling his car up came over to me and asked why I had the underneath metal protection cut. I then bent down and could see that the previous owner has cut into the metal underbody protection to enable a towbar to be fitted.

Do any of you know if this is standard or not very good? Or can it be repaired? I don't think it looks like something Audi would have done at the factory?

Best,

Justin photo copy.jpg
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. toadusmodus

toadusmodus New Member

[Jul 26, 2013]
    My 2012 Allroad with factory fit removeable tow bar has this hole cut out too. Not the most elegant of solutions I agree!

4. jbee3

jbee3 Member

[Jul 26, 2013]
    so it is a genuine factory fit option?
  5. toadusmodus

toadusmodus New Member

[Jul 26, 2013]
    Yup, mine came like that from the factory new. Not sure whether cars without the factory fit tow bar have the hole or not though.
  6. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Jul 30, 2013]
    Definitely looks factory cut to me, its pretty poor tbh as other chassis have a clip in plate for the holes when not in use, is it so far under its not noticeable from the rear?
  7. eob_BE

eob_BE New Member

[Jul 30, 2013]
    Hi,

the normal Avant has this too.
    I questioned the dealer and stated that it looked a bit shabby and unfinshed and he just agreed!

[​IMG]
    NHN likes this.
  8. NHN

[Jul 30, 2013]
    Good thing is, its underneath on a flat piece so hardly noticeable, I see the logic in this.
  9. eob_BE

eob_BE New Member

[Jul 30, 2013]
    It's actually pretty noticable. I see it every time I pull out of my flat drive in my wife's car and think "That looks sh!te!"
  10. NHN

[Jul 31, 2013]
    Then get it fixed, plastic repair, fill, sand, primer, paint, job done :)
  11. eob_BE

eob_BE New Member

[Jul 31, 2013]
    Why should I have to get my hands dirty on a £35k + car?
    Besides, it's a lease. It goes back in two years and I can get something decent.
  12. Soot1e

Soot1e Member

[Jul 31, 2013]
    At least by having the gap,you never see an A4 on the motorway with the rear valance "wobbling" like you do on many other makes of vehicle. Mondeos were especially prone to this.
  13. NHN

[Jul 31, 2013]
    Ah so its no that SH1TE then lmao.
  14. eob_BE

eob_BE New Member

[Aug 1, 2013]
    I chose the Audi based on the Brand appeal as well as looks and IMHO the brand has not lived up to the hype.
    Creaks, rattles, unfinished body parts, missing standard spec (glove box light anyone?) woeful MPG, underpowered, rubbish Audi Music Interface, stupid offset pedals and customer service that is just a joke.
    I'm lucky that I'm in the position I'm in and can walk away.
    Sorry if I've offended anyone but that's just how I feel having came from a couple of VWs and having passed the opportunity to go back to BMW.
  15. NHN

[Aug 3, 2013]
    Haven't you addressed any of these issues with your dealer, one would assume so by your comment of woeful CS?

What's wrong with the AMI, glovebox light missed of or not spec'd with?

You knew the mpg when you got the car surely, you also knew the power rating, so that maybe little unfair comment to make.

Unfinished body parts, expand please.

I'm not defending as a badge snob as I'm far from, just trying to understand your complaints properly.
  16. Zafi

Zafi Active Member

[Aug 3, 2013]
    says the bloke with moss growing out the joints on his block paving ;)
  17. NHN

[Aug 3, 2013]
    LMAO that's funny.
    Audi Dynamik likes this.
  18. eob_BE

eob_BE New Member

[Aug 5, 2013]
    Err, yeah, hilarious. I'll get right on that once I get bored with life. :think:

With regards to the other post, yes, asked the dealer about the few niggles, they weren't really interested.
    Don't want to hijack jbee3's thread but there have been a few things that have knocked my impression of the brand.
    Still love the car to look at and drive tho'.
  19. NHN

[Aug 5, 2013]
    Damn we are a bit touchy aren't we, lighten up will you nobodies stolen your sweets here, we're just having a joke, see it as that & nothing else.
    johnnythepie likes this.
  20. eob_BE

eob_BE New Member

[Aug 5, 2013]
    Oh I see! Oh, thats funny then. Nice one.
    Yeah, at the end of the winter I get a bit of moss build up in between the mono blocks.
    Usually sorted in Spring when I can get the Karacher out. Havn't been able to this year with work and all.
    Still, anyway, back on topic, the big hole in the rear bumper just in case you might want to fit a towbar. Does anyone sell an aftermarket solution?
  21. A3BE

A3BE Member

[Aug 5, 2013]
    I have to confess that my 2013 black edition Avant which I ordered with a factory removeable tow bar has the rear bumper "cut out" as shown on this thread. I researched my options for a tow bar before placing my new car order as I did not want to run the risk of an unsightly bumper cut out for an after market fitment so chose the factory fit option. What a disappointment when I took delivery of my A4 Avant to discover a cut out with no cover! I expressed to the dealer how cheap and rather shoddy the finished article is and he too just shrugged his shoulders.

I was expecting a removeable cover as I had on my Q7 to protect the tow bar from winter crud and spray and can think of no other reason than a cost cutting one for not including one on the A4.
    eob_BE likes this.
  22. Zafi

Zafi Active Member

[Aug 6, 2013]
    Only cars that have - or once had - a detachable towbar will have that big hole. If the car was not ordered with a towbar there will be no hole in the bumper when it is delivered new.
  23. eob_BE

eob_BE New Member

[Aug 7, 2013]
    Two similar new B8.5s Avants in Glasgow Audi forecourt and another in the showroom that I looked at with the service guy had same holes.
    Out of interest, are there any B8.5 (or B8) avant owners on the forum that don't have the bumper hole?
  24. 5102 IA

5102 IA Member

[Aug 7, 2013]
    I've a 2008 B8 S-line Avant and it didn't have the hole... it does now though as I've retro fitted the Audi towbar!

The rear valences dont come with the hole as standard, but the outline is marked on the inside so you can cut the hole if needed. My guess is that the cars on the forecourt with holes have had towbars.
  25. eob_BE

eob_BE New Member

[Aug 8, 2013]
    But these were all new cars. Mine included.
    Maybe someone at Glasgow Audi is just going nuts with a stanley knife, although mine was delivered from Dundee Audi. Maybe it's spreading.
  26. Soot1e

Soot1e Member

[Aug 8, 2013]
    Yes they do if they are facelift models.
    eob_BE likes this.
  27. Daggerit

Daggerit Active Member

[Aug 8, 2013]
    Not true I'm afraid, mine was brand new and definitely not spec'd with a towbar and came with the big cut out as well. I think it looks terrible...
    eob_BE likes this.
  28. Zafi

Zafi Active Member

[Aug 9, 2013]

Ah, mines a 2010 and I had to cut out the slot, as I did on a mate's.

I have not had the pleasure of crawling about under a facelifted B8, I have not spotted the fact that all facelifts have the hole...........
  29. dubdemand

dubdemand VAG Addict

[Aug 10, 2013]
    I don't think all facelifts have the hole... Isn't it just a simple matter of getting a new valance fitted sans hole?

As for the comment about no light in glovebox. Yes it's bloody annoying but it's because you didn't add the interior light package which gives you illuminated glovebox, front and rear footwells, vanity mirrors, air vents and door handles... only £150 and worth every penny if you want to find your way around the car at night! We don't have it either but didn't spec the car new :(

Having said that base level spec is way better than BMW without a doubt - I'm on my second Audi and second BMW so speak from experience!