A4 air con nightmare

Dan230490

Reaction score
Hi all first time posting here so hope I'm in the correct place, I recently purchased my Audi a4 1.9tdi sport and now the hot weather is here I've realised the aircon isn't working....
I've had a few people looking at it and been told different things from each,
First I was told that it can not be gassed as there's a leak, so I had someone else look and have been told that there is no leak and the compressor is ********...

Hooked it up to vcsd and I got a code for low signol to high pressure sensor and the compressor shut off code was 3 due to low pressure, so surely that just means it needs a re gas? Anyone had this issue before? I'm melting ATM lol

Pressure sensor is a common failure. I'd replace that first, & go from there.

Reactions: Dan230490
Pressure sensor is a common failure. I'd replace that first, & go from there.
That's what I was going to do first until I read on rostec wiki that that code could be thrown up because of low refrigerant and I know that it is empty, that's why I went to get it gassed when they told me there's a leak, but then another place told me there's no leak lol

You can get dye put in with gas and will show you where there are any leaks

Possible condenser leak ?, I had same problem as you, I changed the condensor which looked a little past it and now all good.

Most re-gass places are "no charge no charge". So if your system doesn't hold gass (charge) they won't charge you -even Kwik Fit do that so they'll answer your leak/no leak/does it just need a regass question for free.

If you need a compressor then you can buy new for around £190 or expect £50-£90 on eBay scrappy prices. If you swap compressor swap the orifice tube filter also as a minimum (which is held within the silver high pressure lines on the top left of the engine bay where the inlet valves are (like a bike tyre). Crack the nut on the left side line, orifice filter's in there ready to pull out). £10 new on eBay. If you go to an independent expect to pay around £500-600 all in for a new compressor and regass.

If you take the serpentine belt off the pulleys (front of engine behind radiator), very bottom right pulley as you look down standing in front of the engine is your ac compressor. If it spins freely (after removing the belt) in both directions your compressor has seized and is kaput fo' shizzle. If you feel the pulley moving the compressor innards inside -compressor should be OK.

Don't just recharge the air con with refrigerant, get the full service, because after you've opened the system (to swap the compressor and filter) you need to get a vacuum on the system for at least 30 minutes to get the moisture and old oil out. ATS/Halfords/Kwik fit will do that for you, and replace with fresh oil (wich circulates in the system) to OEM spec.

If you open the system -many will tell you to replace the drier too. In my experience it's not required IF you get the system under vacuum during regass to remove the moisture (that;s what your drier does -remove system moisture).

Best regass deal at the moment is £28 ATS on Groupon. All the others are £49.

Try and get the OEM part number from the sticker on your compressor and search eBay like for like -if you go the scrappy route. You can use the below PN bible which will show you which PN's are compatible with whichever you have on yours. Do not deviate from this. I learnt the hard way.

http://www.kosser.net/sites/default/files/deac13-0001_0.pdf

Simply press CTLR+F to search for your PN and cross ref to see what's the dealio. Then search eBay for the PN's which are going to fit.

Swapping the compressor is easy. 25 minutes. Undertray off. Serpentine belt off. 3 bolts to release compressor, drop the compressor onto a support (jack stand or something). Take off the two pressure lines (one bolt each). Replace. Then off to ATS of wherever for a regass.

Best wishes for a chill summer.

Reactions: Andyb5tdi, Dan230490, Northampton_ofn and 2 others
Most re-gass places are "no charge no charge". So if your system doesn't hold gass (charge) they won't charge you -even Kwik Fit do that so they'll answer your leak/no leak/does it just need a regass question for free.

If you need a compressor then you can buy new for around £190 or expect £50-£90 on eBay scrappy prices. If you swap compressor swap the orifice tube filter also as a minimum (which is held within the silver high pressure lines on the top left of the engine bay where the inlet valves are (like a bike tyre). Crack the nut on the left side line, orifice filter's in there ready to pull out). £10 new on eBay. If you go to an independent expect to pay around £500-600 all in for a new compressor and regass.

If you take the serpentine belt off the pulleys (front of engine behind radiator), very bottom right pulley as you look down standing in front of the engine is your ac compressor. If it spins freely (after removing the belt) in both directions your compressor has seized and is kaput fo' shizzle. If you feel the pulley moving the compressor innards inside -compressor should be OK.

Don't just recharge the air con with refrigerant, get the full service, because after you've opened the system (to swap the compressor and filter) you need to get a vacuum on the system for at least 30 minutes to get the moisture and old oil out. ATS/Halfords/Kwik fit will do that for you, and replace with fresh oil (wich circulates in the system) to OEM spec.

If you open the system -many will tell you to replace the drier too. In my experience it's not required IF you get the system under vacuum during regass to remove the moisture (that;s what your drier does -remove system moisture).

Try and get the OEM part number from the sticker on your compressor and search eBay like for like -if you go the scrappy route. You can use the below PN bible which will show you which PN's are compatible with whichever you have on yours. Do not deviate from this. I learnt the hard way.

Simply press CTLR+F to search for your PN and cross ref to see what's the dealio. Then search eBay for the PN's which are going to fit.

Swapping the compressor is easy. 25 minutes. Undertray off. Serpentine belt off. 3 bolts to release compressor, drop the compressor onto a support (jack stand or something). Take off the two pressure lines (one bolt each). Replace. Then off to ATS of wherever for a regass.

You sir are a legend! Keeping this for my to-do list!

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Well it seems like summer is over.... I had a few people look at the ac system for me, one guy told me that I was looking at 1700 for a repair as the whole system needed replacing, another place told me it just had a leak, then the final place said everything was working fine and just needed to be gassed, they gassed it, AC turns on but the compressor doesn't kick in and it's still warm air, so looks to me like it's definately the compressor that's shot, thanks for your reply it's definately going to come in handy