A4 advice please

MikeA3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Right - It looks like i'll have to sell my beloved A3 tdi at some point in the near future and am looking for something cheaper to replace it with, i'd like to stay with audi if possible and have seen a few A4's within my budget .

They seem to be a mix of the normal 1.8, the 1.8 turbo and the 2.4

I know what can be done to the 1.8 turbo engine from reading various posts on the A3 forum but i don't know what (if anything) can be done to a 1.8 or the 2.4

Any advice / suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

Not alot as far as the 1.8 just usuall stuff exhuast etc. 2.4 is much the same but more powerful but no where near as tuneable as the 1.8t.

A chip alone on a 1.8t would see similar if not more power than the 2.4 plus the running cost in terms of fuel would be better on the 1.8t.

The best that can be done reasonably with the 1.8 and the 2.4 is live with them and drive them, A chip cost loads and releases like 10bhp max, the MAFs arnt keen on Intakes, the exhaust could be changed, maybe a bit free'er revving.

I have a 1.8 and do wish i had bought a 1.8t. I AM going to buy a write off 1.8t car and swap engines/looms etc, as i recon thats less work to do than everything else i would need to do to bring it up to where i am now, ICE , susp , bodykit etc

Thanks for the responses guys, i think the 1.8 turbo may be the way forward.

bit of a shame i can't sell the other half instead of the A3 really - the A3's much more economical on long trips

I have thought about another tdi but as i don't really use the car as much as i used to i can afford to go with the petrol option. (plus all the diesels within my price range are on very high miles)

Living in london, I normaly use the tube for going to work and generally getting around town, the car only gets used at the weekends if I go to golf or we go to see friends who live out of town.

I'm lucky if i do 6000 miles a year now

May be then a 2.8 Quattro with a Suppercharger on it might be more what your after!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd love to, i've seen the pics and it looks awesome.

The only problem is that it's a bit out of my proposed budget.

Mike