A4 90bhp Power Loss

MikeHenson

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying an A4 from a garage and when I had a test drive it was totally flat as if the turbo was'nt working at all. Took it back and the garage has changed the Air Mass Meter and checked the turbo pressuse boost valve but this has not made any difference. What else could cause this problem? I'm keen to buy the car as it's in mint condition but worried I might be buying into too many problems,any advice?

I bought my car with a very similar problem. Turned out to be a split boost hose, £30 later and all was fine. Not saying this is the case with this car but any decent VW/Audi garage should be able to diagnose the problem using VAG-COM or similar. I assume with 90bhp this is a diesel?

Yeah 1.9 TDI. Hopefully they will find out and fix it before I decide to buy!

If the garage has access to diagnostic software, as madkebab rightly says, get it looked at. The 90bhp TDI is a quicker car than the figure suggests, and shouldn't feel flat, unless you've been used to driving a 911 or something!

If the car as a whole is mint, it's definately worth getting it looked at, even if it does cost a couple of quid. Fair enough, they could turn round and say that it's a proper nail and to leave it well alone. You'll be in a much better position to make them an offer if you know for sure that it's mechanically sound.

Hope it turns out to be a good 'un.

Drew.