1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 2001 V6 TDi Cam Lobe wear

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by leedjc, May 2, 2012.

1. leedjc

leedjc New Member

[May 2, 2012]
    Hey guys

I'm looking at a V6 which is the timing is out on due to the common cam lobe wear issue. Before I part with my hard earned cash - how bad can this problem potentially be?

Is it a case of swapping out the cams for new ones, or can it potentially be a lot worse?

Any idea of cam costs?

I'd really appreciate the heads up, and what to look for in this car to assess the cam problem before buying!

2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

[May 2, 2012]
    Camshaft kit is £600 to 800 of ebay, stay away from cheap ones. Get a full cambelt kit and thermostat fitted at the same time for good measure.
    I have fitted Kolbensmidt KS cams and forged rocker arms + genuine INA lifters, bought the kit for £700 before X-mas. No issues and car is running as sweet as the day one !
    I bought my camshaft kit from this seller, good price and quick delivery...Make sure to email him for the right parts...
    CAMSHAFTS & GASKETS FOR 2.5 TDI NEW TYPE BCZ BDG BAU BDH VW AUDI SKODA A4 A6 A8 | eBay
  4. leedjc

leedjc New Member

[May 2, 2012]
    Thanks for the swift reply - is there usually anything else that may need replacing. I've done the usual googling, and I'm sure I read somewhere that somebody needed the heads rebuilt?
  5. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

[May 2, 2012]
    Heads don't usually need rebuild just as a result of camshaft wear, if it drops a valve then it's a different matter. What model, year and spec is the one you interested in ? I know of a nice a6 tdi quattro sport i sold to a friend of mine with a brand new engine (new heads/cams/valves/cambelts/rollers,etc.), he bought a 04 reg allroad hence the sale...