1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 2.8 V6 Q Avant...poorly

S4_dan Mar 14, 2011

1. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro! VCDS Map User

Hi guys,

My car finally arrived today, over 5 hours late!

Anyway, topped the water up, checked oil levels and put a bit of charge into the battery.

Bought the car as a non runner, with no life in battery or jump leads when i went to view the car, i took a risk and bought it anyway as it was, in my eyes, still a bargain!

Mate stood at front with timing belt covers off whilts i cranked the engine with short turns!

My original idea of what had happened seems to be a good diagnose of the engine problem.

CRANK is turning, the cams are NOT! The belt does have good tension and is not snapped , so my theory is that some of the belts teeth have worn away.

My questions are.....

Is there a guide to removing the front of that car to access the belts better?

Is this a common issue on AKN/V6 Audi engines?

I'm aware its an interferrence engine, but this apparantly happened when he went to start the car from being parked up, could the damage still be severe to the valves/pistons?

Any other poiinters to throw at me?

Cheers guys.

Dan

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. nwmlarge

nwmlarge flat out

to remove the front you have to set aside about 3-4 hours the first time and make sure you have cover to work under as its not easy to chuck it all back.
    have a nose about on here AudiWorld Tech Articles

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Its almost certain you will have lunched the valves.

4. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

MY guess would be crank pulley failure . Not hear of it on a v6, but always a first time.

Given the price of the belt and pulley, it's prob worth stripping the front and looking at nailing a belt on and tryng it anyway. If it's broke take the heads off, if not, happy days.. You needed the parts anyway

5. S4_dan

It did it from standstill not whilst running. My 2.5 V6 TDi A6 belt snapped at 65mph! That did 6 valves in.

I've got a belt and tensioner ordered. Pick that up friday from VW for £81.

I have fitted timing belts before, but never on a V6. Also, I have never used locking tools and always got them right. Can i get away without using the cam locking tool on these V6's? Or do i definately need them?!

If the heads have to come off, then so be it. I have valve spring compressor tool and torque wrench etc so I can manage. I will just need the sequence and torques for reffitting thee heads etc.

6. S4_dan

Well, removed the bumper etc today (cant get the friggin viscous fan off though! So left it in situ for now!) This is waht i found....my theory from the begginning is correct, kind of! Belt has shredded some teeth around the crank pulley. The cause? Looks like the idler pulley has collapsed causing a bit of slack around the crank pulley......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice ball bearing sat in the pulley!
    [​IMG]

So its heads off and inspect the valves!!! I'm not going to bother just chucking a belt on and trying.

7. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it needs a full top end rebuild...

8. S4_dan

Well, spent 2 n half hours today stripping the engine! Glad i did. Turns out there was more to it than originally thought! The water pump had a plastic impeller and alot of that was missing! Which i've found by swooping my finger into the pump housing and fishing out the broken bits!!

14 valves bent, water pump goosed, hydraulic tensioner seized.......

Here is a link to the pics..... CLICKY

Dan