1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 2.8 V6 30v Thermostat Replacement

Ian2012 Dec 23, 2012

1. Ian2012

Ian2012 Active Member

I am just wondering if this can be done without having to remove the cambelt, if so has anyone done it and how easy is it??

Ta

Ian

2. paul74

paul74 New Member

I need to do same job it can be done without removing cambelt the housing for the stat is located just nxt to sump nut 4 bolts holding the housing in and stat is in there replace and refit as before. Good luck save ££££££

3. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

no mate, you need to remove the belt in order to change the stat as it's under the belt on driver side. The belt needs taking off the cam pulley. I have done loads of them and it's not going to fit under the belt whilst tensioned...

4. Ian2012

Ian2012 Active Member

So i presume if i marked everything up in various different places with tippex and then slackened the belt it's happy days with access to the bloody stat?? provided nothing moves pop belt back on check tippex marks rotate motor for good measure by hand and voila or is that way too simple???

5. michaelg1001

michaelg1001 Active Member

I've just been reading up on this on SRS for my S4, theres a lad on there who has done his by just sliding the belt forward enough to get access to it without actually having to remove it. If I knew it was such a pain in the arse I'd of got mine done a few weeks ago when I had my belt done!

6. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

Done a thermostat on a c5 audi a6 with the 2.4 30V engine yesterday. I had to take the belt off. Use a genuine thermostat and seal + make sure you have the right antifreeze. I usually do replace the thermostat on v6 engines for 100 supply and fit or 80 quid with your parts...

7. Ian2012

Ian2012 Active Member

Any tips or tricks you could share to make my life easier??? I have stat and seal that i bought for another car but never fitted, my mpg is rediculous right now because of this

cheers

Ian