A4 2.8 V6 30v Thermostat Replacement

Ian2012

Reaction score
I am just wondering if this can be done without having to remove the cambelt, if so has anyone done it and how easy is it??

Ta

Ian

I need to do same job it can be done without removing cambelt the housing for the stat is located just nxt to sump nut 4 bolts holding the housing in and stat is in there replace and refit as before. Good luck save ££££££

I am just wondering if this can be done without having to remove the cambelt, if so has anyone done it and how easy is it??

Ta

Ian
no mate, you need to remove the belt in order to change the stat as it's under the belt on driver side. The belt needs taking off the cam pulley. I have done loads of them and it's not going to fit under the belt whilst tensioned...

So i presume if i marked everything up in various different places with tippex and then slackened the belt it's happy days with access to the ****** stat?? provided nothing moves pop belt back on check tippex marks rotate motor for good measure by hand and voila or is that way too simple???

I've just been reading up on this on SRS for my S4, theres a lad on there who has done his by just sliding the belt forward enough to get access to it without actually having to remove it. If I knew it was such a pain in the **** I'd of got mine done a few weeks ago when I had my belt done!

I've just been reading up on this on SRS for my S4, theres a lad on there who has done his by just sliding the belt forward enough to get access to it without actually having to remove it. If I knew it was such a pain in the **** I'd of got mine done a few weeks ago when I had my belt done!
Done a thermostat on a c5 audi a6 with the 2.4 30V engine yesterday. I had to take the belt off. Use a genuine thermostat and seal + make sure you have the right antifreeze. I usually do replace the thermostat on v6 engines for 100 supply and fit or 80 quid with your parts...

Any tips or tricks you could share to make my life easier??? I have stat and seal that i bought for another car but never fitted, my mpg is rediculous right now because of this

cheers

Ian