A4 2.8 Quattro problems HELP please

A4_2.4V6

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Kinda hoping this is the right section to post in as haven't used the forum too much since joining in fact I've since changed car and no longer own the 2.4 A4 but now own the 1998 2.8 V6 Quattro A4.

So it's been giving me problems and I'm suspecting either the front differential or the gearbox :think: now in a nice fairy tale world I'd like it to be neither but we all know that isn't going to be the case. So it all started when I lost all gears the box locked up and I couldn't select any gear at all, within minutes this rectified its self and I was fully mobile again. Since then it has developed a very loud banging/grinding noise on turning left or right couple with this is a almost kangaroo effect when driving (in a straight line) its violent enough to physically shake you in the car??? And finally last night it decided to go all RWD on me in the rain snaking everywhere before going back to what seemed AWD then it gave up the ghost altogether with me now being able to select gear but upon engaging the clutch the car just grinds and goes nowhere. Smells that came with this problem are mostly of differential/gear oil absolutely unmistakeable vile smell.

I have managed to locate a recon gearbox the other end of the country to me lol so before I go to all the hassle and expense of having it transported here and then fitted I thought I would ask on here if anyone else has had this and if I should be suspecting the gearbox or the differential?

cheers guys

Amy

Front diff and gearbox are one and the same anyway.

Never heard of a problem like this, but it does sound like something inside the box has broken, and the broken piece of metals been wirring round inside jamming different **** up.

When you now get the grinding, have you looked underneath to see if any of the driveshafts or prop is spinning? For instance if the rear diff had lunched itself, you'd get no drive and the prop would be wirring away when you tried to drive off.

and heres me thinking the quattro drivetrain was bullet proof!

and heres me thinking the quattro drivetrain was bullet proof!

It seems I don't have too much luck at the moment when it comes to cars. If I have only cleared up the fact that it is not bullet proof I have been of some service :arco:

If I decide to go ahead and repair her I shall post the results to see if it fixed the problem too for any one else that may end up in this rapidly sinking boat.

Check your driveshaft cv joints almost identical problem. front diff bearings are going out and i thought it was the carrier bearing on the driveshaft, i dropped the driveshaft to discover the cv were almost frozen, i greased em put it back in. they froze up and had an almost identical problem. thanks to ebay and amazon.com $139 for both cv joints. Best of luck!