A4 2.8 Quattro 30v - Engine Mods?

Hairy Ballbag

Reaction score
Hi, you probably get this all the time but I've just bought a 2.8 Quattro on an 'R and wondered what mods I can do engine wise?

I would like increased BHP / better MPG.

Engine is standard but I have just got a K&N induction kit.

Has anyone used Irridium plugs? Do they make any difference?

Anyone used any decent ignition leads?

Anyone got theirs chipped? Any difference?

Anyone running some sort of NOS concoction?

I have 1k to spend on 'bits.'

Also, would the lower springs from the 1.8t Quattro sport fit this car?

Cheers in advance!

Docurley had done a supercharged in his old car

Remap would increase BHP and torque slightly.

Denso Iridium Spark plugs are the best, far superior to Bosch or NGK. They do Iridium Power, Racing or Tough.
It's a proven fact, on the track too in the Moto GP. They are even better than the Bosch Super 4's. They also invented the 'U-Groove' which helps improve the lifetime and performance, as it was patented by Denso. Other companies came up with the 'V-Groove' which you may have heard of, this actually is a negative long term modification and you will have to replace your sparkers more often. Denso also make the only 0.4mm gap sparker! Just some information for you :p

You've just bought one and want to increase bhp and mpg?
Apart from the fact you can't do both anyway, it kinda begs the question why did you buy a 2.8Q?

Hi mate

Dont worry, there are still mods for you to do to your 2.8. As it is standard it is already quicket than a 1.8 turbo and will handle better also due to the quattro system. If I were you i would simply do the chip,exhaust and air filter induction kit combo (filter which you have done already) and this will really free up the breathing on your car. On mine I definately noticed the difference with exhaust and filter and if you chip it as well it will be a good combo. It will take a modified turbo to keep up and those are a dime a dozen so you can sit back and enjoy the much nicer sound of the v6 and also a lot more exclusivity than a simple front wheel drive chipped turbo:hi: .

Also putting a free breathing exhaust and filter combo on a car will increase HP and economy in the same whack.

For a thousand pounds Fluid has covered the popular mods. There is obviously further tuning potential, but it depends how much money you want to throw at it.

I would expect NOS to be a cheaper alternative to supercharging/turboing the V6, just depends how keen you are to go down that route. I think its worth mentioning here that you can forget about improving ur mpg if you look towards these levels of tune.

Rather than looking at 1.8T Quattro springs (unlikey to be a good idea, the cars are different weights etc) there are plenty of lowering spring kits specifically for the 2.8.

Fluid: not really sure what point you are trying to make, comparing a fwd 1.8T to a quattro 2.8, apples and pears and all that.

N

AndyMac said:
You've just bought one and want to increase bhp and mpg?
Apart from the fact you can't do both anyway, it kinda begs the question why did you buy a 2.8Q?

I bought the 2.8Q as it had folding rear seats - very rare as they were only standard in S4's and 1.8t Q's. It also had leather, climate, bose and is also quite fast... the other option was the 1.8t Quattro but these still go for silly money with high miles. I got this one for £2.5k FASH and 90k, a 1.8t Quattro would cost nearly double that.

You can increase MPG and BHP with a chip but you're loking at a few hundred quid for that on it's own for arounf a 13bhp increase and a slightly better fuel rate but I worked it out to take around 20 months for it to pay for itself with the fuel savings on my current mileage.

Exactly.
I've got folding rear seats in mine, I think they were standard on the 2.8Q, certainly aren't mentioned in the options list on the boot sticker.
Mines got manual rear windows so I doubt the idiot who spec'd it would have forked out for folding rear seats if they weren't standard.
They pretty much all have leather and climate was standard as well, bose is totally overrated.
My wifes 1.8T A3 felt a lot faster than my 2.8Q, a remapped 1.8T A4 would **** all over a standard 2.8Q in the dry.
It's a lot of car for the money I admit, but a cruiser more than a rapid machine. Mines done 155k miles and is probably worth more as parts than as an actual car, but it owes me nothing.

AndyMac said:
Exactly.
I've got folding rear seats in mine, I think they were standard on the 2.8Q, certainly aren't mentioned in the options list on the boot sticker.
Mines got manual rear windows so I doubt the idiot who spec'd it would have forked out for folding rear seats if they weren't standard.
They pretty much all have leather and climate was standard as well, bose is totally overrated.
My wifes 1.8T A3 felt a lot faster than my 2.8Q, a remapped 1.8T A4 would **** all over a standard 2.8Q in the dry.
It's a lot of car for the money I admit, but a cruiser more than a rapid machine. Mines done 155k miles and is probably worth more as parts than as an actual car, but it owes me nothing.

got to agree with Andy
more cruise than boy racer but i luuuurve V engines mmmm..

mine was £1250 @149k and now its at 162k but could get back what i paid easy, but agree in parts its worth loads more mine also has split seats leather sports seats and red(sports) dampers:laugh:

To mod the 2.8 means $$$'s but if you don't mind spending the money you can make it quite quick but to be frank it would be cheaper to sell the 2.8 and by the 1.8Tq if you can find one.

As for folding seats it was the older cars that did not get them the later cars got them as standard.

Mines a 97, and they only started making them in 96, so must be very early cars.

look out for a s4 engine if you want serious power from your A4Q, a friend did it and the car is instant grin factor!! but he cant get from one place to the next that much quicker that me! and mines the 150bhp 2.6Q and thats without stopping at the petrol station, AGAIN!!!!! granted in a straight line. it leaves me dead! but on the twistys there's nowt in it!

the 2.8 makes up for all its drinking problems by jst being so damn smooth to be fair though, granted it isnt a torque steer in ya face grunt machine, but hey, it'll still make you smile going up thru the gears.

Phantom_A4 said:
Mine was a 98 and didnt get folding rears, i thought it was an option?

Yours was a 2.4 not a 2.8 and not a quattro (if your profle is correct).