a4 2.5tdi very bad starting missfire/stutter 1800rpm?

David280585

Reaction score
my a4 has never started great but always fired on 5th turn, now its spinning over 30 seconds before it fires up with a cough and loads of smoke

checked intank pump by powereing fuse 28------- all ok
replaced cooland temp----------------all ok
checked power to glows------------all ok
new diesel filter-------------------------all ok
checked cams for wear all seem ok
code read----------------------------no codes except egr recirc due to blanking plate
its a 2.5tdi 163 cab manual

no im at wittsend with the thing, the car always has had a bad vibration under acceleration like 2 cv joints are gone,also driving steady about 1500-1900rpm it stutters and holds back and when you accelerate it on boost its perfect

could it be a dualmass?
pump timing? can i adjust this myself manually or is it vcds only
pump issue?

anyone encountered similar

Where abouts are you mate ? Fancy a drive down to london ? I could have a look at it for you...

in doncaster so a bit far i understand your the man for the v6s i really cannot understand what is causing it

Pump timing might be out, get someone with fully registered VCDS to check it for you and adjust the timing towards the top line...
Chances are the timing it's so advanced it might not even show on the graph at all !

I have travelled down from leeds this saturday and can thoroughly recommend him he's fair and thorough.
I have used him a few times and also asked for his avice before buying a 2.5 tdi quattro.
This guy knows them inside out .
Also great wealth of knowledge if you need to pick his brains too
Thanks

If you cant make the trip and adams is happy to advise you over the phone id be happy to plug you in. im in doncaster quite a bit with work but dont have too much experience with timing issues.

However, I travel nationwide to help others and get help, im due in devon on 15th september to meet up and get some advice from somebody, going by adams feedback it would be well worth you taking a day out :D

Where abouts are you mate ? Fancy a drive down to london ? I could have a look at it for you...
will bear it in mind but already have it booked in somewhere,
the misfire/stutter has gone just poor starting now