a4 2.5 tdi red breake warning light flashes on start up!

vorsprung dork

Reaction score
hi bought car in march! on start of engine red brake warning light comes on and bleaps ! this happened from the day after i bought it then the yellow pad warning light would come on straight after so as we all know when your pad warning light comes on you do another 15000 miles on the old pads cause theres loads of meat left on em! well i do! so i changed all 4 disks and pads last weekend the yellow light has gone off but the red light still comes on! on start up for about 5 secs is this normal! help pls!!

Normaly first sign the batterey is on it's last legs, mine did the same last year and a friende a6 also did it, new batterey and no lights, give a good charge first and check if it's charging with a volt meter.

right thanks for that my lil bro who used to be an audi technition told me the same thing! i kind of didnt belive him cause its been doing it for about 9 months and it starts on the button every time! so the wee gimp was right after all! i may have to give him a brotherly man slap for that one! many thanks lads!

If its red then there is a problem with the ABS controller- it does not comunicate well with the instruments...thats the first sign the ABS controller is on its last legs, take-it off and send it for repair before it gets damaged beyond repair. It involves carefull soldering and re-sealing of the power wires...

thanks for that thread james! it seems to be right that! as ive just checked the battery wiv me volteater and its just over 12 volts engine off! as car hasnt been used for 23 hours thats good and straight to 14 and a bit volts straight away after starting! al av to keep me eye on that one! thanks adamss! dont like the sound of that! has anyone else had this abs controler brake warning light prob!!

since i posted this thread ive been back to school an learnt how to spell brake!! now that the frosty mornings have gone this brake light problem on start up has disapered! ive had my battery tested and its fine! weird or what? its been doing it for 9 months now its gone!

Yes - I've had this problem for the last 12 months. I've had the battery tested, and it's 12.5v in the morning, and the alt. is charging it OK (14.4v when running).
If it's the ABS controller - where is that located? Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?