A4 2.5 TDi Rear Springs

cobrascim

Reaction score
Just had my rear springs done on my Quattro. You can now get these from GSF etc as they are now listed on their parts(They weren't last year-recent development).
Anyway mate of mine in the trade got them from TMS and fitted them. They were longer than my old ones and made the car sit a little higher at the back. I find at speed in a straight line the back end feels wondering. Could he have been supplied the wrong springs. He states they will change them for the "heavy duty" ones. I think he has been sold the wrong ones.
The reason for changing was my rear tyres (months old) have been worn right done to the wire on the inside edge on each side. I knew I had a broken spring on drivers side right at the top. Then when replacing the other side anyway it turned out it was broken right at the bottom. I take it this would be the reason for scrubbing the tyres as there would have been a camber change?
John.

I had a broken rear spring on my last A4 2.5TDi Avant, replaced both rear springs with standard (sport) springs by an Audi dealer. The effect of the broken spring was that over an undulation, the rear end seemed to steer, produced a slight wiggle and then the car straightened up. I don't think the broken spring produces a camber change, but there is possibly a slight alteration in camber due to the reduction in ride height on one side of the car where the broken spring is. Replacement certainly made a huge difference.

quattros have adjustable rear alignment.

Checkthat some pillock hasnt set the toe in using a standard mirror kit fixed onthe rear wheels and given you toe out instead.

Thats what cost me a set of tyres on our q.

Thanks guys,
My mate has just got the new heavy duty springs from tms who supplied the ones that are on it just now. The supplier is advising changing them to these no extra charge just return the others which I find strange. Anyway even the new springs have 9 rings on them compared to my old ones at 8 rings and are therfore 1.5 inches longer. I'm now wondering whether my car had lowered springs on it at the but dont know how many rings that would be. Can anyone giude on no. of rings?
John.